Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chapter 65


Once Miranda was moved from the bathroom to one of the downstairs bedrooms, Callan cut the cord and went to the back porch to let everyone know what was going on.  He looked between both set of parents and to his wife’s grandfather.  “Mr. Draiman, sir, congratulations.  You’re officially a great- grandfather”, he said, grinning from ear to ear.

David sighed in relief.  “How long ago?” he asked after exhaling the breath he had been holding.

“Twenty minutes.  Gramma Brie held her all nasty and bloody while Aunt Kenna birthed the placenta.  I was in the room while Kenna weighed and measured her.”

“What are her stats?” Malachai asked.

“Well, I’m going to have to call the Colonel and let him know that he hit the nail on the head.  She’s 7lbs. 5oz, and 19 ¾ inches long.  He and Eli get to split the pot.”

Elliott Maguire chuckled.  “Eli is your brother in law?”

“Yeah.  The one I was standing with him and his boyfriend during the father-daughter dance.”

“When can we see her?” Mandy asked.

“She asked me to bring one person specifically then everyone else can come back.”  He looked at David.  “Great- grampa, would you like to hold your great- granddaughter before the grandparents get too grabby?”

David laughed and pushed himself to standing.  “Lead the way, Cal.  I’d love to.”

Callan looked at all four of his parents- birth and in laws.  “I’ll be out to get you all when Miranda gives the ok.”

“Don’t worry about it son”, Anessa Maguire said.  “We’ll be here.”

“Great grandparent trumps grandparent every day of the week”, Malachai said.  “Anyway, we never know how much longer my parents are going to be around.  They should be allowed to enjoy whatever they want with next to no bitching.”

Callan went into the house and took the 85 year old man to the bed room that Miranda was resting and tending to little Grace.  When they walked in, Miranda was burping the little angel.  She smiled when they walked into the room.  “Hey Grampa”, she said happily.  “You want to see your great-granddaughter?”

David grinned and walked around the bed to where Brie was sitting.  “You had better believe it.  I’ve been waiting for a decade for this moment.  Give me that baby.”  He held his arms out for the infant and pulled her into his chest once she was in his arms.  Gently, he caressed the blanket she was swaddled in and knew that she was wrapped in the blanket that he and his wife had bought for her over Hanukkah.  “Hello little Gracie”, he whispered as he relaxed into the rocking chair he was sitting in.  “You don’t know me, but I’m your great- grampa.  Now, you may not get to spend a lot of time with me but I want you to know that as long as there is still breath in my body, you are loved and adored by myself and your great- gramma.  You have been anticipated and are the first in what I’m sure will be a long succession of great-grandchildren.”  She made a little grunting noise and he smiled.  “You are such a beautiful little girl.  May you grow to be strong and do great things.  Great-gramma and I will be watching closely.”

Brie was leaning against his arm looking on.  “She’ll do just fine, Grampa”, she smiled.  “She’s destined for greatness in some way.  Much like her Mom, and her aunts and uncles, and their cousins.”  Her well-manicured finger caressed the cheek of the tiny child.  “But she needs to stay small as long as possible.  I’m sure that Mom and Dad would greatly appreciate that.”

Miranda laughed.  “That’s for sure.  I am in NO HURRY for her to start walking and talking.  I want to enjoy her being so small for a little while.”

Brie smiled.  “Aren’t you glad I told you to dig deep, Miranda?”

Miranda nodded.  “You were right, as usual.  I’m so glad that I did.”

Grace started to cry and David was quick to hand her off.  “She may be hungry again.”

“You don’t want to feed her, Grampa?”

David was quick to shake his head.  “I’ve done my share of that and then same.  I did all of that with all ten of my kids and all twenty-seven of my grandkids at some point.  I’m done.”

She looked at her grandmother.  “Gramma, what about you?”

“No dear.  I’m fine with just spoiling her.  Anyway, aren’t you breast feeding?” Brie asked.

Miranda nodded.  “Of course I am.  It more natural that way.”

“Then we will step out so that you can feed your daughter and the two of you can bond with your new baby.  Don’t forget that there are four very eager grandparents out here that would like to see the baby as soon as you’re ready.”

Miranda nodded as they walked from the room.  “I’m ready to go out to the cottage for the night and relax”, David whispered to his wife.

She nodded.  “Same here.  Let’s grab Jake and have him get someone to take us out to the cottage so that we can relax.  It’s been a very long day.  I’m hungry and I’m tired, and I want a hot bath.”

He smiled.  “Then let’s get Jake to get someone like you said and we’ll go eat, take a hot bath together, and relax for the night.”

---------------

The grandparents were finally allowed into the room where Miranda was resting with the new baby. When they came in Callan was tending to the little one while Miranda rested. His father smiled. "You're a natural at that Cal", he said as Callan gave the baby girl a bottle of freshly pumped milk.

Cal grinned. "Thanks Dad", he said, rocking back and forth in the rocking chair he'd claimed after Gramma and Grampa Draiman left and went to lie down.

The new grandmothers could hardly agree on who got to hold the little girl first and woke Miranda with their soft bickering. "Mama Anessa, Mother; what's the matter?" she asked as she woke.

"Which of us gets to hold her first?" Mandy asked.

Miranda looked at Callan. "I say your parents seeing as we're going to be staying with mine until we go to Japan."

He nodded. "I agree." He stood and held the tiny little girl in his arms. "If you wanna sit down, Mama, here's my chair." She took the offered chair and held her arms out for little Gracie, cooing softly as she rocked with her. She spoke very softly and told the little girl that she was a long awaited arrival for the Maguire family. Gracie made soft cooing and grunting noises as the 50 year old woman rocked with her.

Meanwhile Malachai and Mandy talked with their son in law. "How are you taking to fatherhood?" Malachai asked.

"Great. I love it. I love that little girl with everything I am. She will always be the apple of my eye."

"That's good. While you're all with us, we're going to have to keep an eye on her for depression", Mandy said quietly. "I had depression when I had her and Isaiah."

Callan nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."  He looked over his shoulder to his wife.  “She seems like she’s doing alright right now, but we can keep an eye out.”

“I’m not saying it’s going to happen mind you, but it doesn’t hurt to be watchful.”

Malachai nodded.  “But at the same time dear, you were also undiagnosed with Bipolar Disorder”, he said softly for only his wife and son in law to hear.  “But, none the less we wanted to bring it to your attention that we should keep an eye on her.”

Callan nodded.  “I certainly appreciate it.”  He looked back over his shoulder at the beautiful brunette that he’d married.  “How long do you think Uncle Jake will keep us here?  I know he’s playing doctor and usually does when a baby is born in the family, but I’m sure that Miranda will want to take Grace home so that we can get her settled.”

“Jake has a two to three day policy.  We’ll all go home tonight while you two stay here.  She’ll have her run of the house and with my parents here, you will likely see very little of Gracie.  Make sure that they have the things they need and they will make sure that she is taken care of while they sit on the couch and dote on their great- granddaughter”, Malachai laughed.  “And tomorrow we’ll all be back and her brothers and sisters are going to want to see their niece.  And you have better believe that we’re going to want to see her too.”

Callan nodded.  “Ok.  I’m just nervous over her.”

“Understandable”, Malachai said.  “You’re a first time Daddy.  When Miranda and Isaiah were born Jessi and Marc were six.  I was super nervous about them holding them.  Hell, even breathing on them.  Finally I relaxed around the time that Reckless Disregard went on our first tour.”

“That’s kinda funny.”

Malachai shrugged.  “I’m glad I could give you a smile.”

Callan’s father spoke.  “Malachai, I was wondering if we could bother you for a room tonight.  We came straight here from the airport.”

Malachai nodded.  “Until you go home to Texas, mi casa es su casa.  We’re going to have to leave soon so that my daughter Jenni can make it to her art lessons on the morning.”

“She has art lessons outside of school?” Anessa asked.

“It’s more like a showcase of young artists in the area”, Mandy answered.  “She’ll learn different techniques while she’s there and at the end of the month.  It’s the only thing she’s going to be doing this week.  She won’t even be in school, but all of our kids have always been ahead of their classes.”

“Wow.  Do her teachers know?”

“Yeah”, Malachai said.  “Our son Eli did it when he was in school too.”

“And now he’s a professional artist who sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars”, Elliott said.

“And he just finished commissions for his fiancĂ©’s family”, Mandy added.

“You two want to hold Grace before we leave?” Anessa offered.

Malachai chuckled.  “In the words of my father every time he’s had a grandchild born, give me that baby.”

­---------------

Once everything settled down, Miri finally go to sit down and take a breath.  “Oh My Goodness!” she said with a sigh.  “What an exhausting day!”

Jake chuckled.  “No kidding.  I’m about to go check up on Miranda and Grace before calling it a night.”

Miri nodded.  “Have fun with that one, Daddy.”  She looked around.  “Where’s Jax?”

“Your room.  While you were helping Miranda deliver Grace he and I had a heart to heart.  Turns out that young man really loves you and wants to be with you.  I have to say, as much as I hate the thought of you growing up and going off on your own you are a woman now and you no longer need Daddy to hold your hand, or tell interesting animal facts to nonstop.  He asked for your hand and I told him that as long as he takes care of you he’s got it.”

Miri smiled.  “Wow Dad.  That had to really hurt for you to do that.”

Jake laughed unhappily.  “I’m not going to lie.  It was about as painful as a root canal, but I know that you two love each other and I want you and your brothers and sister to be happy once you’re no longer under my roof.  Anyway, he seems to have impressed Grampa and Gramma so I can’t bitch too much.”

“Does he need to ask Grampa for permission?”

“No.  Callan didn’t have to ask Grampa for permission to marry Miranda.  The only person Jackson needs permission from is me.  Don’t worry about it, Miriam.  All you need to know is that at any moment, Jackson Tompkins will be pulling a ring out of his pocket and ask you to marry him.  If I were you, I’d say yes.  He’s a good man.”

“And you haven’t even met his parents yet.”

“Actually, that’s next on the list.  They’re going to come out to meet the family.”

“All 50 some odd of us?” she said in a panic.

Jake chuckled.  “No, just those who live here.  You mother, Ira, Seth, Samantha, me, Uncle Jeremiah, Aunt Jona, Matt, Rina, and your grandparents.”

She sighed in relief.  “Thank goodness.  I was almost afraid that you were going to have Aunt Makayla and Uncle Marc fly out from California and all that good stuff.  I’m relieved.”

“Miri, I wouldn’t put them through the gauntlet like that.  The only people they’re going to meet are those that live here.  Anyway Miriam, let’s be honest.  There is no way in hell that all 50 some odd of us as well as his family will all fit at the banquet table.  We all know better than that.”

Miri laughed.  “Very true Daddy.”  She yawned.  “I’m going to head up to my room and start packing.  We’re going to have to head back to Chicago soon.”

“Ah yes.  The Loyola University Veterinary Program is calling your name.”

“Yep.  I’m two and a half years from graduating.  The sooner I finish to happier I’ll be.”

“You have a hospital in mind that you’re going to work for?”

“Yeah.  There’s a really nice one in Homer Glen that I’ve been volunteering at.  They told me that if I want to work with them after graduation they’d be happy to have me.”

“Homer Glen.  Isn’t that the suburb of Chicago that Uncle Danny used to live in?”

She shrugged.  “I don’t know.  I see Justin a lot.  That’s all I know.  He and his family are keeping an eye on Uncle Jay’s house while he’s here, though I think that once Miranda’s been allowed to go home they’re packing up and heading back to Chicago.”

Jake nodded slowly in understanding.  “Nice.  It will be strange not having Gabe and the twins around as often as they have been the last nine months.”

“Yeah.  It’s been fun while I’ve been home to hang out with the twins.  Hannah is a bossy little bitch though.  It’s really awesome how they’re identical twins but they have totally different personalities.”

Jake nodded.  “Look at your Aunt Meagan and Aunt Makayla, or Uncle Jay and Uncle ‘Miah.  They’re all very different.  James is a touch cocky and rather loud where Jeremiah is very quiet, even timid.  Meagan is a bit of an introvert and has a science mind keener than even my own.   Makayla loves to be around people, loves teaching, and would rather dance than anything else in life.  Meagan wouldn’t be caught dead dancing.”

“Pretty cool.  I hadn’t thought about it like that.”  She shrugged.  “Interesting.”  She stood from where she was sitting on the couch and kissed her father’s cheek.  “Thanks for the talk and the heads up, Daddy.”

He kissed her cheek in return.  “My pleasure, princess.  Why don’t you go relax and hang out with your man for a little while?  I know that after you left the range to come in and help Miranda with delivery, he was awfully lonely no matter how hard Ira tried to make him feel at home and like he was a part of the festivities.”

She laughed.  “Aw, my poor baby.  I’ll go check on him.  I need to cuddle right now anyway.”  She walked away and headed up the stairs.  “By the way, Daddy, I don’t know if I’ve said it recently but I love you.  I don’t think there’s a better father in the world than you.”

Jake laughed.  “Thank you Miri.  Go see about Jax.  I love you too.”

She walked up the stairs and went to her room.  “Hey babe.  Did you miss me?” she laughed as she closed the door.

Jax looked up from the eBook he was reading and grinned.  “Yeah I’ve missed you.  Where have you been, darlin’?”

“Helping Miranda get settled after having a baby.  Got me to thinking about when we have kids.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.  We’ll talk about it later.  Right now, I just want you to hold me while we watch a movie.”

He cracked a crooked grin.  “Sound like a plan to me, gorgeous.  Pick a movie and we’ll just lay here and watch.”

---------------

"So what was going on at your brother's house that everyone was gathered like that?" Elliott asked Malachai.

"My dad and my brother Jeremiah's father in law have become partners in crime over the last decade and a half. About ten years ago they decided to take our modified rifles and have a shooting contest on the improvised shooting range that Morbus had set up for us all to practice on. Mind you, there is a 20 year difference between the two men. As you can probably imagine, they both feel like they have something to prove. Well, today they decided to take paintball guns and empty liquor bottles out and shoot at them considering that my Dad is 85."

"Whoa", Anessa said. "What are the usual stakes?"

"None. They do it for the fun of it and for bragging rights."

"Who won the shootout ten years ago?" Elliott asked.

"They tied. They took five shots each from lying down, kneeling and standing. They both grouped the shots so damn tightly it made me sick. The late Master Guns would have been proud."

"Master Guns? You mean Master Gunnery Sergeant Cartwright?"

"One in the same, but I grew up calling him Uncle Matt."

"WHAT?!" Elliott Maguire had shock written all over his face. "Yeah. Master Guns Cartwright was my mother's brother."

"No kidding", Anessa laughed. "Wow, so you’re related to several of the heroes of the Resistance including the Voice and the Master Guns. That would also mean..." Anessa's face filled with understanding. "You're also related to the Transitional President Gail Richardson."

Malachai nodded. "I'm all kinds of awesome, huh?" he laughed.

"Wow. That's insane", Elliott said. "Who knew?"

"We don't hide it in our family. Our parents are both far too proud of where they come from to hide those kinds of things. They instilled in us that same pride. We in turn instilled it in our kids."

"That's good. We've worked at doing the same. It's actually a bit of a family tradition for the first born son to go into the Marines."

"Not a bad family tradition to have", Mandy said.

"Hell, all five of us boys talked about it when we were teenagers. I wanted to enlist as did my younger brother Marc. Jake, James, and Jeremiah all would have commissioned", Malachai explained.

"Why is that?"

"As far back as I can remember, Jake wanted to be a doctor and James and Jeremiah wanted to be lawyers. Then their senior year, Jeremiah started having a crisis of conscience and started wondering if he could defend someone who was guilty and he knew it. Instead he decided on Theology. Had we all been raised actively in the faith of our parents, he would probably be known as Rabbi Draiman." He chuckled a little at the end.

"But he also has degrees in Philosophy and History. His History degree carries a specialization in ancient cultures", Mandy added.

"Did any of your sisters talk military?" Anessa asked.

Malachai shook his head. "No. None of them had that desire, though if they had expressed it I'm sure that our parents would have told them to research it thoroughly like they told us boys."

"Are any of your nieces or nephews thinking military?"

"My nephew Hunter is going Navy and will be a JAG attorney until James decides to retire and hand his share of Intoxication down to the next generation."

"So, back to the topic of family pride, do you think that Miranda and Callan will pass that same pride that we raised them with on to Grace and the children they have afterward?" Elliot asked.

"I'm going to level with you, Elliott. I don't see them NOT passing it on. You raised Callan very well. He's a man of principle and that's a good thing. Miranda has a very strong moral background and they will go to whatever lengths necessary to teach their children the same principles that we taught them."

No comments:

Post a Comment