Friday, May 11, 2012

Chapter 62


The flight back to Denver was relatively boring all things considered.  David and Brie spent the whole time watching Jacob watch Miri and Jax.  “What seems to be bothering you, Jacob?” David asked.

“What do you think they’re talking about up there?” Jacob said with musing in his tone.

“What does it matter, Jacob?” Brie asked him.

“It doesn’t”, he shrugged.  “Curiosity is killing me.”

“It killed the cat too.  What’s the issue with them being cute?”

“There isn’t one.  I’m just watching them.  I know that they’re falling in love and they’re being kids.  I’m just watching how he treats me princess.  If he treats her wrong, I’m going to have to do something that we all did with that moron Jeremy Caldwell.  I’ll play psycho and run his ass off.”

David chuckled.  “Oh yeah, memories.  But, Jax seems like he’s a pretty good guy.  We talked a little during the reception yesterday.  Good kid.”

“What did you learn about him?” Delilah asked.

“He’s the oldest of six; four girls and two boys.  He has dual citizenship between the US and Austraila.  His mother does a lot of international booking for a lot of different bands.  She actually worked a lot with Jeff Bataglia and Warner Bros. for us to come out there, as well as work with Lauren Cook and Intoxication/ Warner Bros. for Reckless Disregard to come out there.  His Dad is one of the foremost anesthesiologists in Sydney.  Written several papers on the topic as well as helped develop several different general anesthesias.”

“Wow, he’s got noteworthy parents too, huh?” Jake chuckled.

“So it seems”, Brie said.  “He also told us that his father assisted on the first of your TBI procedures to be performed in Austraila.”

“That’s cool.  My possible future son in law and his father can both sit around and shoot the shit with me about medicine and I won’t be talking over anyone’s head.  Did Jax mention which branch of medicine he was considering?”

“Pediatrics of some sort.  He thinking oncology or cardiology, if I remember correctly.”

“Nice.  He and Anthony will have something to talk about”, Delilah said.  “I think it will be great for them to have two doctors in one house.”

“A people doctor and an animal doctor.  Answering the phone at their house will be interesting”, David chuckled.  “I can just imagine it.   ‘I need to speak with Dr. Tompkins’. ‘Who do you need? Dr. Person or Dr. Pup?’.”

“Yeah.  That’s gonna be something pretty interesting to witness.  I just wonder where they’re live seeing as his family lives in Australia and we live here”, Jake mused.

“They’ll live here.  Miri won’t leave the country her Daddy’s in”, Brie said.  “And Jax seems like he’s pretty understanding of how close we all are.  He’ll stay here because that’s where she wants to stay.  So far, he’s pretty impressive.  Of course, I can only speak for myself.”

David shook his head.  “No, you can speak for me too.  Any man that’s willing to move from the country he grew up in to be with the woman he loves is fantastic in my opinion.”

Jake and Delilah both laughed softly.  “We’ll keep that in mind, Mom and Dad.  We’ll reserve judgment until we see how he acts with her while they’re here for spring break.  If he treats her right, I’ll take him aside before they go back to Loyola and give him permission to marry her when he’s ready to ask”, Jake continued.

Brie reached over and took her son’s hand.  “I’m sure that you’ll be pleased with the way he treats her.  Just try to keep an open mind and everything will be just fine.”

---------------

The drive back was murder.  Though Eli and B had flown out, they decided to rent a car and drive home so that there was room for everyone as they headed back to Colorado.

As with the drive to California, there were frequent stops so that Miranda could go to the bathroom.  Isaiah was sure to seize the opportunity to talk to his new brother in law.  He was amazed with the man that he was now calling brother.  The things that he had been told that Callan had done for his twin sister.  During one of their many rest stops as they drove through California, Isaiah caught Callan and talked to him about one of the many things that had him awed.  “Dude, did you seriously fly out to New York before meeting my parents and beat the hell out of Zack?”

Callan sighed.  “For the last time, Isaiah, yes.  I flew out to New York and beat Zack’s ass before flying out to meet your parents.”

“DUDE, you are the SHIT!” Isaiah exclaimed.

Callan laughed.  “I’m nothing special, Isaiah.  I’m just a simple southern boy with who was taught that you don’t allow a man to treat a woman badly.  I understand that you’re not used to seeing your sister treated well.  Well, with me that’s going to stop.  You just need to relax and let it happen.  I will protect your sister with everything I have and love her with everything I am.  Get used to it, brother, because it’s not going to change.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get something for your sister and me to drink and snack on until the next time we have to pull off.  Take care of your fiancée, Isaiah.  I’m sure she’d appreciate her man bringing her a soda or something.”  And with that, he walked away.

Isaiah stood there in shock.  Wow, this guy is awesome.  Instead of giving me an earful because I’m pestering him he just tells me nicely that he’s just a guy.  I love this man, man!  He went to the cooler and grabbed Chelsea a drink and a snack- as well as one for himself- and went to stand in line to pay behind Eli and B.  Standing there with his brother and his boyfriend, he struck up a conversation.  “So Eli, what are your impressions of Cal?”

Eli rolled his eyes with a sigh.  “Not this again, Isaiah.  You know what I think of Callan.  He’s cool.  He’s willing to step in and raise a child that’s not his genetically because he loves our sister.  That makes him fan-fucking-tastic in my eyes.  Just take a chill pill and relax bro.  You have a couple of months to get to know him at least.  Lord only knows when Miranda’s going to pop.  Hell, she could pop on the trip home, which would be a Catch-22.”

“How so?”

“If her water breaks in the car”, B started, “we have to pay for the detailing because it’s a rental.  But, at the same time, it’s a new niece.”

“Exactly”, Eli said.  “It’s money out of our pocket to pay for it to get cleaned up, but it would be worth it.  Now why don’t you pay for that for you and your lady so that we can get back out on the road?  Stop being such a nosy ass Leo and let’s just get home so that we can wait for our niece to arrive.”  He handed the little girl at the counter his credit card so that they could pay for their things and head out to their car.  Once she handed him his card back he and B wrapped their arm around each other’s waists and headed out to the car, debating for a moment who was going to drive.  Callan was already back in the car with Miranda, who was trying to doze off again.  Being pregnant was taking a lot out of her energy wise.

Isaiah paid for his and Chelsea’s things and headed back out to his parent’s SUV.  He knew that Eli was right.  He needed to just relax a little and just keep in mind that Callan wasn’t anything special.  He was a man and with Isaiah’s incessant questions and acting like a fan boy, his new brother in law was eventually going to lose his temper and knock him out.  Once his father got the car back underway, he and Chelsea got comfortable and watched a movie together.  He was just going to chill and try not to act so ridiculous.  It was going to be a feat, but he could do it.

Meanwhile, in the other car, Eli looked over his shoulder to the newest member of the Draiman clan.  “How ya doing back there?” he asked.

“We’re fine”, Callan responded.  “She’s sleeping again and that leaves me free to listen to music, or read a book or something.”

Eli chuckled.  “Get it in while you can, brother.  Soon, you’re not going to have the time.”

“I know.  I’m enjoying every second I can get to read.”

“How are you handling the fan boy in the car ahead of us?”

Callan laughed.  “I’m hanging in there.  He’s starting to strike a nerve, bro.  What can I do to get him to stop?”

“I had a chat with him.  You’re being nice and that’s all you can really do.  I get that you don’t want to stress your new wife too much.  Understandable.  All you can do is grin and bear it until he grates on your final nerve.  If he does it at the next stop, tell Dad.  Dad will set him straight.”

He nodded.  “Thanks Eli.  That’s a huge help.  I’ve got enough on my plate managing your sister.  I know it’s what I signed up for so I do it happily.  But right now?  If he asks me ONE MORE TIME if I really did something that I did, I’m going to snap.”

“And you’d have every right to.  Just keep trying to be patient.  He’ll stop being stupid soon.”

---------------

Once they landed and everyone was settled, David called Skyler.  “Can you and Kaylian come out to the cottage and meet with me and Brie?”

“Sure.  We’ve just finished unpacking from going out to Miranda’s wedding.  We’re free.  What do you need?”

“We wanted to talk about that prank you and I are going to pull on the kids.”

“Ah.  We’ll be there in a few.  I’ve got an update for you and a suggestion on when we should mess with them.”

“I’m all ears brother.”

“We’ll see you in five?”

“Sounds good.”  They hung up and David got comfortable on the couch as Brie made tea so that they could all relax after the flight from San Diego.  “The Mason’s will be here in five, love.”

She smiled softly.  “Perfect timing.  We’re unpacked and the tea is almost done.  I’m making something for us all to snack on while we talk about the fun at the shooting range with paintball guns and empty liquor bottles.”  She busied herself making snacks and tea for everyone.  Much to her surprise her hands weren’t giving her a lot of trouble.

“Do you need any help over there?  How are your hands?”

“I might need help carrying it over to the living room so that we can talk.  My hands are just fine.  No problems with them so far today.  I’m sure as it gets cooler tonight, they’ll freeze up and start giving me shit.  Such is life dear.”

“I know.”  He stood and wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her neck.  “I worry about you.  Forgive me.”

She laughed softly.  “You’re forgiven a million times over, my dear.”  As she finished with the tray, she turned and kissed his life gently.  “Since you’re standing here, why don’t you take the snack tray over to the table then get the door?  I think I hear Skyler’s four wheeler approaching.”

He chuckled low.  “How about you take the snacks over and I’ll get the tea and the door?”

“Whatever you think is best, dear.”  She picked up the snack tray as he finished putting everything they would need for the tea on the tea tray.  As she was sitting down, there was a knock on the door.  “One moment”, she called.

David set the tray down that held the tea glasses and went to the door for Skyler and Kaylian.  “Hey Skyler.  Didn’t I just see you about an hour ago?” he asked with a chuckle.

“I know.  What am I doing out here?” Skyler asked as they embraced.

“Will you two get out of the door way so that I can get inside?” Kaylian laughed.

Skyler went inside and greeted Brie as Kaylian greeted David, making her way over to the couch to greet Brie once she was done.  After everyone was sitting and had drinks in hand, Brie and Kaylian snacked while David and Skyler discussed the prank.  “So, how is the trip to the range coming along?” David asked as he took a sip of tea.

Skyler grabbed a chip off of the snack tray and ate it before answering.  “It’s coming along perfectly.  My hope is that the grandkids will get involved too.”

“I’m sure that most of them will.  Matt will if Jeremiah does”, Brie said.

“And Seth joining in is up in the air.  That’s up to his parents”, David added, “but Ira will be there with bells on.”

“Why is Seth up in the air?” Kaylian asked.

“He decided to act like a little jerk the day before we all left for San Diego for the wedding and drove like a bat out of hell from here to the house”, Brie explained.  “Jarred my back with the takeoff and was told by David three times to slow down and didn’t do it until we got to the house.”

“No kidding?” Skyler asked in shock.

“Nope”, David said, shaking his head slowly.  “Matt told me that he told Seth not to do it and to let him drive and Seth ignored him.”

“He’s brave, that’s for sure.”  Skyler chuckled.  “Maybe Jake will pull the stick out of his ass and let Seth participate.”

“As if he’s not already struggling with that as far as Miri is concerned”, Brie laughed.  “But that’s for later in the conversation.  Let’s finish this plotting session for your little prank.  When do you think would be a good time to have this?”

“Not long after Malachai and his family get home and settled in.  It will be good for him to come over and get out from under the responsibility of running when Miranda’s craving something.”

“Oh Callan has already made it clear that when she has a craving for whatever he will run and get it”, David said.  “He made sure that he told us as much during the reception.  He looked me and Malachai in the eye and said plain as day, ‘I want you both to know that once we leave California, when Miranda is craving something I’m going to be the one to run and get it.  She’s my wife now and that makes it my job’.  I just nodded and said, ‘Good for you’.  Malachai said, ‘Alrighty then’.  There was no further debate.”

“He’s going to be a mess when she goes into labor”, Kaylian said.

“Oh, for sure”, Skyler chuckled.  “Hopefully someone’s there to keep him calm so that he doesn’t trip out while she’s going through contractions.”

Brie giggled softly.  “You know what would be ironic?”

David looked down at his wife.  “What baby?”

“If Miranda went into labor while we were at the range having this little day of bonding and preparing the kids to let us go when it happens.  That would certainly be funny.”

Brie Draiman had no idea just how close to right she was.

----------------

The Masons stayed with David and Brie for dinner.  Kaylian helped Brie make dinner for the four of them while David and Skyler sat and plotted the prank.  Brie looked back at them and laughed.  “Do you think those two will ever grow up Kay?” she asked.

“Not a chance.  And when we’re all finally gone and together on the other side, they’re still going to be plotting and planning.  But, rather than plotting ways to give Jacob a heart attack, they’ll be thinking of ways to outdo each other.  Everything will be a competition.”

“Well, I think you and I will just have to put an end to that.”  Then it hit her.  “Oh snap, I just realized something.”

“What?”

“Between the two of them and my two brothers, there’s going to be quite the ruckus on the other side.”
“Goodness.  That’s going to be fun.  I’m sure that your brother Matthew’s wife will help us keep them in check.”

“True, but what about my brother Ira?”

“We’ll all have to keep him in check.  But, didn’t he die when he was young?”

Brie nodded as she stretched up to get plates for them all.  “Yeah.”  She looked over her shoulder to see that David and Skyler were still preoccupied.  “Kay, I’m going to tell you something that only David knows.  Over Hanukkah I have a dream that starred my brother Ira.  He was bringing me a message.  David and I don’t have much longer left on the planet.  I can’t give a precise date or anything, but I don’t think we’re going to see the end of the year.  When he came to me, he and Matt were both in their twenties or thirties.  Mom and Dad were with them.  Mom was making latkes.  He took me outside the house and talked to me.  We don’t have much longer and we’re not going to have to live without each other.”

“That’s so sad.  I’m sorry to hear that.”

Brie smiled softly.  “Don’t be.  I’m not afraid and neither is he.  We’re ready when it finally comes.”

“That’s good.”  They plated the food and called the guys to the table.  Once they were all seated they sat and ate and had a good time.

They chatted as they ate and enjoyed each other’s company.  Having Kaylian and Skyler out was a joy for Brie.  “So”, Skyler said at one point in the conversation, “you mentioned earlier that Jake is having trouble pulling the stick out of his ass in regard to Miri.  What did you mean by that?”

“Have you met her new boyfriend?” Brie asked them.

“That cute little Aussie?” Kaylian asked.  Brie nodded.  “That’s Miri’s new boyfriend?  He’s such a cutie.”

“And Jake’s having trouble accepting the fact that they’re falling in love with each other.  I’m sure that he’ll get there eventually, but it’s going to happen whether he likes it or not”, David said with a sigh.  “I had trouble when Maddie finally decided to bring Colton to our attention and I saw how they were together.  I get it.  I don’t blame him.”

“Yeah I can’t say I blame him either.  I had trouble letting Jona go when she and ‘Miah got engaged”, Skyler said with a laugh.  “He had balls, Jeremiah did.  Met me and asked for her hand the same day, like he knew I’d say yes.”

“That’s just Jeremiah.  He may be the quiet the quiet one, but he’s got no problem speaking his mind as you know.”

“I know”, Skyler laughed.  “I love that boy like a son.  He treats Jona very well, is wonderful with the kids; I lucked out in the son in law department.”  They fell silent for a little bit while they finished their dinner, then Skyler asked the question that was burning in his mind.  “So, what were you two over here gossiping about while you were making dinner?”

Brie laughed.  “Just how between the two of you and my two older brothers we’re never going to have a moment’s peace between the lot of us once we’ve all made it to the other side.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” David asked as he laughed.

“The way we see things”, Kaylian said, “the two of you make everything a friendly competition that you’re physically able to.  Add Matthew and Ira Cartwright to the mix and we’ll never have a moment’s peace.”

“Exactly.  As it is the two of you are bad enough”, Brie said with a laugh.  “Add Matthew James and Ira Shane to the equation and we’ll have our hands full.”

“So are you saying that it’s going to be one constant state of competition”, Skyler chuckled.

“Yes”, his wife replied.  “I love you dearly, but yes.  You and David are going to make us nuts with your being so competitive.”  She leaned in and kissed his cheek.

“But we expect we would expect nothing less from the two of you”, Brie said, doing the same.  “I know you two and my two brothers will keep us constantly entertained.  At the very least, there will never be a dull moment.”

No comments:

Post a Comment