Monday, May 14, 2012

Chapter 63


The two day trip between California and Colorado was relatively uneventful after Eli told his older brother to chill out.  Miranda didn’t go into labor but was having random pains here and there that her mother explained to her were false labor pains.  “You’re going to be a Mommy before you know it”, Mandy told her oldest daughter.  “All you can do is take deep breaths and wait until it stops.”

“Lovely”, was all Miranda could say.  Callan would just sit there and hold her hand when they would hit.  Wasn’t much else he could do.

A couple of days after Malachai and family got home and got settled, Jake gave him a call.  “Bro, you need to get over here”, he said, fighting not to laugh hysterically.

“What’s going on?” Malachai asked.

“Dad and Skyler are in my room in the gun safe getting out paintball guns.  Dad says he wants to test his eyesight with a little target practice.”

“And you don’t think that Dad’s going to do it?”

“Oh no, I know that our father means every bit of what he says.  He told me to call you to see if you wanted to at least watch, if not participate.”

“Have you gotten ahold of everyone else?”

“I called Jordan and she started tripping balls, Maddie started laughing and told the kids and Colt to get off of their asses and get ready to come over.  Ash asked why and she told him that everyone was going to get to shoot with Grampa, and Jeremiah went out with Damien to help set up all of the empty liquor bottles that have been disappearing since Mom and Dad came out for the holidays.”

“Where are James and his bunch?”

“Here; James and Kenna are helping Mom and Kaylian get settled into lounge chairs while Hunter and the twins help with the set up as well.  Gabe and Rina are playing with some toys of some sort that are out here already.  Marc decided to fly out so he and his group are putting together a little picnic for everyone.”

“Lovely.  Where are Meagan and Makayla?”

“Makayla had a music video she had to choreograph, so she’s actually in New York.  Meagan is here and tripping balls.”

“Does Makayla know what’s going on?”

“Yeah.  Are you going to keep asking questions or are you going to finally shut the hell up and get everyone over here so that we can shoot it out with Dad and Skyler?”

“Let me see what everyone wants to do”, Malachai chuckled.  “I’m sure that everyone will want to come over.   Shawn’s been dying to shoot with Grampa or something for a while so it’s time that happens, I would say.”

“Indeed”, Jake laughed.  “I’m actually going to let Seth off of his grounding so that he can enjoy a little time with Mom and Dad too.”

“Sweet.  It will be nice to see Dad letting loose.  We’ve all really got to learn to relax, ya know?”

“Dude, preaching to the choir.  I’ve been saying that for three months.  Maybe you can talk some sense into Jordan and get her to relax.”

“I’ll see what I can do.  She doesn’t always listen to me.”

“Levi, Jasmine, Reece and Ronnie are telling her to chill out and relax.  She’s not seeing the light with them.  Maybe she will with you.”

“I hope so.  Let’s see what my family wants to so and we should be there shortly.  Remember, I just added a Marine to my family who has a love of guns and explosives.”

“So we can be sure that his and Miranda’s vote will be yes.  And I’m sure that Eli and B will vote yes.  You might as well tell them all to get in the car and head on over.”

“As fun as that would be, I’m not going there.  I’m gonna ask.  Tell Marc to pack a few sandwiches for everyone in my family just in case we’re there.”

“Will do.  See you soon, bro.”

“You should.”  And they hung up.  Malachai made his way down stairs where everyone was sitting in the living room.  “So, I just got off the phone with Uncle Jake and apparently Grampa and Mr. Mason are putting together a little paintball shooting range…”

“Are we going?” Shawn asked.

“I was asking if everyone wanted to go.  All in favor?”  They all raised their hands.  “Well then, let’s get the hell out of here, shall we?”

They shut everything down and loaded into the different vehicles.  Miranda and Callan drove Miranda’s old car that had her overnight bag pre packed and ready as well as the car seat for Gracie in case she went into labor and they had to book it to the hospital.  Eli and B drove themselves and Isaiah and Chelsea rode with everyone else.

No one knew it, but by the end of the day, there would be a new addition to the family and she would come into the world screaming.

­­---------------

Brie and Kaylian were relaxing as David and Skyler came riding up behind them in the golf cart.  Brie turned around and laughed, tapping Kaylian on the shoulder.  “I would have thought you two would have used a four wheeler rather than the golf cart”, she said.

David frowned.  “Jacob locked the four wheeler keys in a wall safe in his and Delilah’s room and I don’t have the combination, and I wasn’t the lock pick in the band when we went through our Agency training.  That was Mikey.  Danny could engineer a listening device that would have made the CIA jealous.  I’ve seen him do it.”

“So you couldn’t crack the safe to get four wheeler keys and it was easier to put the guns in the backseat of the golf cart?” Kaylian laughed.

“Something like that”, Skyler nodded.  “We’re just waiting on all of the grandkids and James to get out of the way so that we kick this off and everyone can trickle down as they feel the need.”

David cleared his throat and called to James.  “Jay, is everything ready down there?”

“Just about Dad”, James called back.  “I’m trying to convince my son down here that everything is the way it’s needed.”

“I don’t like the distance Grampa”, Hunter called out.  “It seems a little too close.  I mean, I heard that you grouped five shots at 125 yards tighter than the mini skirt that Aunt Jordan is wearing today.  This is only 75.”

“Grandson, you have to take into account that it was ten years ago that this happened and my eyes have gotten worse with time since then.  We’re also using paintball rifles.  You want the targets to be a little bit closer.”

Hunter shrugged.  “Touché, Grampa.”  He looked at his father, sisters, and cousins.  “Why don’t we get out of the way so that Grampa and Mr. Mason can start breaking bottles?”

“I thought you’d see things my way”, James laughed as he shooed his twin daughters and his nephews back toward the same area where their grandparents were sitting and standing.

When they got back, David tapped James shoulder.  “Have someone go back up to the house and get two more of the lounge chairs.  Granted I want to do this, but there will come a point where I’m going to need to sit down and let my knees rest.”

James nodded.  “Nikki, Josie; go back up to the house and tell Uncle Jake that we need a few more lounge chairs down here.”  He held out the key to one of the four wheelers.

Nikki and Josie walked over and Josie took the key.  “I wanna drive”, Nikki said.

“I have the key”, Josie said.

“Dad, tell Josie to let me drive.  I am the oldest.”

James took a deep breath.  “Hannah Nicole, your sister has the key.  She’s driving.”

“But I’m older.”

“How about this, Hannah- Josephine drives up to the house and you drive back?”

“I can live with that”, Josie said.

“Hannah Nicole?” James said, giving the oldest of his daughters an expectant look.

“Fine”, she said, rolling her eyes.

James shook her head.  “You know what, why don’t you go park your ass over there under that tree”, he said as he pointed to the tree in question, “and think about that attitude?”  As Nikki walked away he looked at Hunter.  “Go with your sister, please.”

Hunter nodded and held his hand out to Josie for the key.  “I’m older.  I’m driving.”  Josie handed over the key without an argument.  Once they roared off toward the house, James heard the two elderly couples behind him chuckling.  “I take it that we’re not going to be expecting anymore grandkids from you”, his mother laughed.

“Are you kidding me?” James laughed.  “My house isn’t big enough and I don’t have the patience.  I would kill them all.  Anyway, Hunter has just let me know that I’m going to be a Grampa myself in the next year.  That little girl Candy he brought out to San Diego for the wedding and we just sent back to Chicago, she’s a couple months along.  I’m only in my late thirties and I’m going to be a grandfather.  No mother, no more kids for me.  I’m just going to look forward to spoiling the hell out of Hunter’s little one like you two did with all four of mine, as well as the other 23 grandkids you’ve been blessed with.”

“You could always remodel the house to accommodate a larger family”, David said.

James shook his head fervently.  “No, not a chance in hell”, he laughed.  “I just finished a huge remodel on my kitchen and dining room for entertainment and business purposes.  I am NOT giving my kids bigger rooms.  They don’t need them.”

As they four seniors laughed, the men made their way over to the shooting line so that they could start their friendly contest.  Who could knock over the most bottles?  Both men took aim as the rest of the family started to arrive so that they could watch the spectacle.  It was going to be a fantastic, but very long, day.

---------------

Malachai’s bunch arrived and Eli took Callan out to the shooting range on the back of one of the many four wheelers.  After greeting Brie and saying hi to David as he was reloading his paintballs, Callan took off with the golf cart to get Miranda and B.  Eli was about to attempt to be the first of the grandkids to get involved with the shoot off. 

As Callan was driving up with his wife, her parents, and her brother’s fiancé all on the golf cart they all heard Maddie call out to the family patriarch.  “Just lift your elbow a little, Daddy”, they heard her laugh as they crested the hill.  They could see that “Grampa” was aggravated that he was missing some of the closer targets.

“Mind your own, Madison Jade.  I’ve been shooting longer than you’re been alive”, he growled as he sighted down the scope of the paintball gun and fired, nailing one of the bottles.  “See, I know what I’m doing”, he said, spinning to look at his second daughter.

She laughed.  “If you say so Dad.”

Callan laughed as he parked the golf cart.  “Is Aunt Maddie giving you a hard time Grampa?” Miranda called as Callan helped her out of the cart and onto one of the lounge chairs so that she could get off of her feet.

“She thinks she’s going to tell me how to shoot a damn gun.  I’ve been shooting longer than all of you have been alive”, David said as he popped off another shot and tagged another bottle.  Callan walked over to where the shooting was going on to see what everyone was shooting at.  David looked over at his new grandson in law.  “You wanna take a few shots?”

Callan chuckled.  “I haven’t shot at bottles in years.  Not since I was a teenager.  I’d be willing to take a few shots if you’re willing to give up the rifle, sir.”

David looked over at Skyler.  “Seeing as you and I have knocked over as many as we have, why don’t we step aside and let those that are interested in popping some bottles do just that?”

Skyler nodded.  “I like it.  We can sit and chill with the wives while the kids and grandkids shoot it out.”
David handed the paintball gun he had been shooting with to Callan.  “Here you go.  Have fun.”  He looked at several of his grandchildren that were still teenagers.  “Ira, why don’t you, Tony, Levi, Matt, Seth, and Hunter all go out and set up the targets again?”

The grandsons in questions all stood and ran out to where the bottles were set up as Isaiah stepped up and took the rifle that Skyler had been using.  “Feel like shooting it out with your brother in law, Cal?” Isaiah asked.

Callan shrugged.  “Sure, if that’s what you wanna do.”

“Just don’t cry to my sister when I shoot more than you do.”

Callan rolled his eyes.  “Keep thinking that, Isaiah.  I can’t wait to make you eat those words.”

The banter kept going as David and Skyler walked away and took their seats next to their wives.  “Those two are going to be competitive until the day one of them dies”, Brie said as David sat down next to her.

“It will be healthy for them.  Maybe Callan can teach Isaiah a thing or ten”, Kaylian laughed.

“I just hope that Isaiah gets over this insane fascination he seems to have with Cal”, Miranda said.  “Since we got married last week, Isaiah has been acting a fool asking Cal all these stupid questions about how we got together like that nosy little kid from around the corner.  It’s really rather annoying.”

“He’ll get over the shock soon enough”, Brie said.  “It took my brother Matt a little bit to get used to the idea of calling Grampa his brother in law.”

Miranda laughed.  “That’s pretty cool.”

“As one who got the questions of disbelief, you and Callan should enjoy them while you can”, David said to his oldest granddaughter.  “You should worry when Isaiah loses interest in how awesome his brother in law is.”

Miranda smiled.  “Thanks Grampa.  I’ll let Callan know and we’ll keep that in mind.”

---------------

Jordan was watching the festivities but was standing off to the side where she could freak out in peace.  She knew that if she said something someone would freak out on her for what she said.  Meagan was standing with her.  “I know what you’re thinking Jord, and I don’t like it either.”

Jordan looked at her younger sister.  “What are you talking about?”

“This insanity that Dad and Mr. Mason are doing.  I don’t like it either, but I hate to say it- they are big boys.”

“Are you trying to be the voice of reason here?  Play Devil’s Advocate and convince me that I’m over reacting and that I need to let Mom and Dad go?”

Meagan shook her head.  “No.  I’m saying that I understand both sides of the argument and I still don’t like Dad shooting a paintball gun.  How everyone else can be ok with this is beyond me.  Hell, even Jessi’s not freaking out like she normally would.”

“I think she’s just excited that Mom and Dad have finally left her and David their house in Jerusalem.”  Jordan shrugged as she heaved a heavy sigh.  “Mae, I’m trying to get over the fact that Mom and Dad don’t have much longer with us, but Jake calling and telling us that Dad and Skyler were up in his room digging through the gun safe for a paintball gun I freaked.  I can’t help it.”

Meagan nodded.  “I know.  I agree.  Remember, I backed you and Jake when Mom and Dad came out for the holidays.  I don’t like them being reckless.  I want them to be careful just because of their ages and their health problems.  I know that being careful isn’t going to keep them from passing on at their ages.  I just don’t like to see them in pain.”

“Me neither.  And Dad goes and pulls something like this.”  She shook her head, brushing her bangs behind her ear.

Malachai had been watching them talk, reading their lips to see what they were saying.  He kissed his wife’s cheek and whispered to her.  “I’ll be right back.  I’m going to go see what’s going on with Jordan and Meagan.”  Mandy nodded and he walked away.  “Hey little sisters.  What’s going on over here?” he asked.

“We’re trying to keep our freaking out over Dad and Skyler doing this to ourselves”, Meagan said.

Malachai nodded.  “You worry, I understand.  I worry too.  I’m sure we all do.”

“It’s not that ‘Chai”, Jordan said.  “This is reckless of Dad.  Plain and simple.”

Malachai continued to nod.  “I see.”  He sucked in a deep breath.  “Did it ever occur to either of you that Dad’s just trying to just enjoy the time he has left?”

“I know that he’s having fun”, Jordan said.

“Don’t you want him and Mom to be happy?”

The two girls exchanged a look.  “Yeah.  Of course we want them to be happy”, Meagan said.

“Then why are you freaking out over something that makes them happy, reckless or not.  Dad knows what he’s capable of.  They’ve been trying to drive that point home to all of us since Dad retired and they started pond jumping and continent hopping wherever Mom had the notion to go.  They stopped because the Doctor told them to about five years ago.  The most traveling they did then was here and back.  When Mom realized that her back couldn’t handle the planes for too long they started traveling by train where they could.  Now, and I’m just guessing but, I’ve heard nothing about them planning to go back.  They’re here so that they have someone to take care of them should they need it.  They’re slowing down.  You just have to give them time and allow them these opportunities let loose and have a little fun every now and then.”

Meagan and Jordan looked at their oldest brother.  “Never thought of it like that”, Jordan said.

“I was just offering a little food for thought, Jord.  You know I love you, both of you.  You’re my little sisters.  I would do anything for you.  Just keep in mind that Mom and Dad may be older, but they’re not dead yet.”  He looked over his shoulder to see that Isaiah and Eli had traded and were shooting it out now.  Their parents were thoroughly distracted.  “They may have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, but they’re entitled to have a little harmless fun like this every now and again until they finally slip in that banana peel.  You see what I’m saying?”

They nodded.  “Yeah.  We see what you mean”, they said in unison.  “We just need to relax and let Mom and Dad enjoy the time they’re having.  And now that I see Dad is sitting down next to Mom and enjoying the sights, I can breathe a little easier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment