Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chapter 41

Miranda stayed home and worked on plans for the wedding while her parents went to her uncle’s house to talk about her grandparents.  There was so much still to be done. And she was getting bigger and bigger with every passing day.  She’d recently returned from a trip to Texas with Callan for Christmas with his family.  It was so much fun and they were a lovely bunch of people.  She looked forward to seeing them again in March for the wedding.

She had just gotten off of the phone with the woman who was making her wedding dress.  They talked about beading and things like that on the dress.  The woman wanted to minimize the baby bump.  Miranda was having none of it.  “I’ll be nearly eight months pregnant when this goes down, you do realize this?”

“Yes, Ms. Draiman.  I understand that.”

“There is no minimizing and disguising the fact that I’m pregnant at that point.  I’m close enough to popping that it makes no difference.  I don’t want to hide it, but I don’t want to accentuate it.  Do you see what I’m saying?”

“I think I do.  So you still want the material we talked about?”

“Yes.”

“Fantastic.  I think my Mom and I will down next week for a fitting.  Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get up and get something to eat.  I’m alone in the house right now.”

“Why are you home alone?”

“My parents went to my uncle’s house, my twin lives in New York with his girlfriend, my younger brother lives in Chicago with his boyfriend, and the youngest of us are all in school.”

“I see.  Well, go feed the little one.  I’ll see you for the fitting soon.”

Once they had hung up, Miranda made her way down the stairs carefully, taking one step at a time and hanging on to the banister for dear life.  As she made herself a sandwich, her phone started ringing.  “Hello?” she asked when she answered it.  She didn’t look at the caller ID.  She was almost certain that it was her parents or one of her brothers calling to tell her about the family meeting.

“Hi, I’m looking for Miranda Draiman”, a woman said.

Miranda started putting her sandwich fixings away as she spoke.  “This is Miranda Draiman.  Who’s calling.

“My name is Vanessa Thornton.  I think we have someone in common.  Zachary Scott Thomas Winfield to be exact.”

“So you the little blond he was with in that restaurant.”

“Yeah, that’s me.  You don’t hate me, do you?”

“Why?  It’s not worth the energy.  Anyway, you didn’t do anything to me.  So, what can I do for you Vanessa?”

“You know Zack’s friend Carter?”

“Carter and Zack are still friends?  Carter told me that he was done with Zack when he came out here to get him after my fiancé beat the hell out of him.”

“Oh, he is done with him.  But, Carter is the one that gave me your number.  I hope that’s ok.”

“I told him to do it, so it’s cool.  What’s on your mind?”  Miranda sat down at the bar to eat her turkey and provolone sandwich with lettuce, tomato, pickles and spicy mustard.  The last time her father was in Louisiana he brought back some Zapp’s Potato Chips Gator Taters- Dill flavored chips- which she ate with her sandwich.  She was craving spicy and sour for whatever reason.  After she was done eating her sandwich she was going to have cookie dough ice cream.

“I don’t know if you’re aware, but I’m nearing the end of my first trimester.  I told Zack I was pregnant and he dropped me.”

“I know that feeling.  I’m at the end of my second and he’s had nothing to do with me; not that I want him here.”

“Do you know what you’re having?”

“I’m having a little girl.”

“Congrats.  I hope I’m as lucky.  So anyway, I think that something really needs to be done about Zack so that another girl doesn’t end up in our shoes.”

Miranda nodded as she chewed.  “What do you have in mind, my sinister sister?”

“We need to black list him somehow.  Warn girls to stay away from him, ya know?”

“We could put up a web page about him.  My Dad would gladly put a link up on his various social pages- like Twitter and shit.  So would Aunt Jordan.”

“Are you really related to Malachai and Jordan of Reckless Disregard?”

“Yeah.  I’m Malachai’s oldest daughter.”

“That’s cool, and I take it your Dad doesn’t care much for Zack.”

Miranda laughed.  “What was your first clue?”

“What he said to me as he went back to the table to eat lunch with you and who I assume were your Mom and grandparents.”

“Yeah.  But you should hear what my Gramma did to him.”

“Oh no.  That sweet old woman that was at lunch with you that day?  The one wearing the pretty sundress?”

“That would be my grandmother.”

“What did she do?”

“Apparently he caught her in the hall at the hotel while she was getting ice.  He reached out to grab her and she threw an entire bucket of ice in his face- bucket and all- and slapped the dog out of him.”

“How old is your grandmother?”

“She’s 81 I think.”

“Zack was bested by and 81 year old woman?”

“My Gramma’s not just any 81 year old woman.  My Gramma was a massage therapist for years, worked out insanely for most of her adult life, and used to dive with my Grampa until they were ordered by their doctors to stop.”

“She’s the one that used to have that blog?  She would do videos and stuff about her travels with her husband.  The last one she ever did was over them out on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.”

“Was the husband ever in the videos and pictures?”

“Yeah.  He was bald, had a grey goatee under his bottom lip and very piercing eyes when they were on screen together.  Always had a shit eating grin on his face when he was on camera.”

“That was my Grampa.  He always has a shit eating when he’s with Gramma.  Gramma is his angel.”

“You could tell that they were eternally happy together.”  She sighed.  “So, you’re all for this website idea?”

“Yeah.  Let’s do it.  Zack certainly deserves it.”

“I’ll start looking into domain names and I’ll email you with it.”

“Sounds good.  Now, I need to lie down for a little while.  I’m kinda tired.  This little girl is taking a lot out of me.”

“I feel for you.  Talk to you later, Miranda.”

“Later Vanessa.”  Miranda hung up and laughed as she finished her food.  She was looking forward to helping out with this little project.  She was finally going to get revenge for everything that Zack had put her through.

---------------

“How are you and Mom doing now that you’re home, Dad?” Jeremiah asked as he helped Jona strain off some herbal tinctures for different clients at the clinic.  It was work that needed to be done and he had no problem helping strain the oil infusions so that they could be made into whatever they needed to be made into.

“We’re fine, Jeremiah”, his father said with a yawn.  “It was a long trip, but we’re fine.”

“That’s good.  I just wanted to check on you.  How is Mom feeling?”

“She was hurting pretty badly when Jessi brought us home so I gave her a little bit of pain medication and she’s lying down.  I’m probably going to join her as soon as we’re off of the phone with you.  I hate to cut it short, I’m sorry, but I’m really quite tired son.”

“No, I understand, Dad.  Don’t apologize.  You’re entitled to feel tired, Dad.  You’ve lived a long full life up until now.  I’m sure you’re ready to finally sit back and relax.”

“You have no idea.  I’m really nearly ready for it all to end.”

“Well Dad, when you do go I’ll have no problem with it.  I can’t speak for the other 9 of your children, but I’m ok with it.”

“Where is this sudden acceptance of your mother and I getting older and preparing to die coming from, son?”

“Let’s just say that after a long talk we’ve all decided that it’s time to let you and Mom go when you’re ready to do so.  I don’t want to give too much away, but whether you personally hear it from all of us or not we’re all working on coming to terms with it.”

“Mom and I noticed that you didn’t pitch your usual fit where we’re concerned over the holidays.  What happened there?  Was it Delilah’s ‘Mom’ moment scare it out of you?”

Jeremiah chuckled.  “Hardly Dad.  I was actually neutral in the whole argument over letting you two drive and all that good stuff before Delilah said anything.  I think Malachai and I are the two that are the most ok with this whole thing.”

“That’s good.  How is everyone over there doing?”

“We’re all good, Dad.  I’m helping Jona with some of her infused oils to make salves and stuff like that for clients.  Ira has finally decided what he wants to do with himself and told Jake.”

“What has Ira decided?”

“Psychology.  Then he basically told Jake that everyone around here needs to grow up.”

“My grandson, the shrink”, David laughed.  “There are times I wonder if he’s really paying attention to the things around him, then he does something like that.”

“This is Jake’s son we’re talking about.”

“I know.  Scary thought that.  Well Miah, I need to get some sleep.  I’m really tired and you’re mother, I’m sure, is very lonely in our big bed.”

“Ok Dad.  Go get some rest and we’ll talk later.  I’ll let Jake know that you and Mom are home safely.  What was the delay?”

“Beijing was getting snow when we landed.  When we arrived at the train station our train was running a little behind because of the weather.”

“So leaving China was a pain?”

“Just a bit.  The train left the station a couple hours late and had to go slowly.  Mom and I were ok though.  We just watched movies, read, and stayed close to stay warm.”

“Did you two generate a little heat yourselves?” Jeremiah asked with a chuckle.  Jona gave him a look from the corner of her eye.

“For us to know, son.  I really do need to lie down for a little while.  I’m exhausted.”

“Good night.  I’ll talk to you later.”

“Later Jeremiah.”

Once the conversation was over, Jeremiah responded to the look in his wife’s face.  “What?” he asked.

“‘Did you generate a little heat yourselves’?  Really, ‘Miah?”

He chuckled as he helped pour the concoctions his wife made into bottles and jars.  “I couldn’t help myself, Love.  I know my parents still fool around.”

“Does it bother you that they’re the ages they are and they still have sex?”

“No.  I hope we’re still active like they are when we’re in our 80’s.”

“Really?”

He set the funnel for the tinctures down on the table where they were working.  “Jona, I am more in love with you now than I was over Hanukkah.  I loved you more the day I asked for your hand than I did the day we met and still more the day we married.  I fall more and more in love with you every day when I wake to see your smiling face.  How could I not hope that we’re still able to celebrate that love when we’re in our 80’s?”

“Really?”  She tucked a piece of her brown hair behind her ear as she tried to stay busy.

“I’m serious”, he said with a soft smile.  He caught her face between his hands to be sure he had her undivided attention.  “You’ve given me two wonderful, talented, intelligent children that encompass my existence along with their mother.  You brighten my day when I come home from dealing with college students all day.  You’re my sunshine, Jona.  What’s not to love?” he asked and leaned down to kiss her softly.

---------------

David climbed carefully into bed with his wife and took her in his arms as he got settled into bed.  He felt her physically relax into his embrace like she was unintentionally holding her breath as she waited for him to be there to hold her.  “Is everything ok?” he whispered.

“Mhmm”, she sighed.  “What took so long?”

“Jeremiah called to check on us; make sure we’re home safely.”

“He didn’t sound like he was fretting and all that, did he?”

“No.  He just wanted to see how the trip was and how we were feeling.  He even joked with me about whether or not you and I made a little steam one the trains between China and home.”

She laughed softly.  “If only he knew, right?”

“Right.”

She sighed again in content as she snuggled into the curve of his body as they spooned.  “Why is this the only way I’m comfortable to sleep anymore?”

“Not so much pressure on your back?  I don’t know, babe.  I wish I could tell you.”

“Speaking of, in the morning, I need to call my doctor about all of these issues I’ve been having with my back and my hands.”

“We will do that.”

“Why do you take such good care of me, David?  You were right there beside me through each of my pregnancies, my surgery, the miscarriage, and everything else.”

“Because I’m your husband and you’re my wife.  It’s what a man does for a woman that he loves.  You do the same for me, Brie.”

“Because that’s what a woman does for the man she loves”, she chuckled.

“See?”  He kissed her softly.  “Is there anything else we need to do tomorrow?”

“Go to the market?  We kinda sorta need to get some food.  We have almost no food here.”

“Ok.  We can do that.  Do we have anything for breakfast or should I head to town to get something to surprise you?”

“I think we do have breakfast, but if you want to get something special from town then I’m not going to object.  I’ve grown used to how you spoil me.”

“It’s about time”, he chuckled.  “It’s been 48 years and you’re just getting used to the fact that we’re going to it?  Better late than never I guess.”

She playfully smacked his hand where it rested on her hip.  “Stop being facetious.  I thought the fact that I’ve always been so humble was one of the things you loved about me.”

“It is, but I have to have fun with you somehow.  If I can’t have fun with you, then who can I have fun with and pick on?”

“Touché.”

“What do you want for breakfast?”

“I don’t know, David.  If you’re up before I am and you decided to go to town to get something, then do what you normally do and surprise me.”

He sighed and settled into the bed.  “I’m not sure how much longer I can hold my eyes open, love.  Are we going to sleep or not?”

She laughed softly and yawned.  “Let’s go to sleep.  I need sleep before dealing with the doctor’s office in the morning.”  She turned her face and kissed her husband.  “I love you, David.  Good night.”

He smiled softly and kissed her again.  “Good night, my love.  Get some rest.  I love you too.”
They both took simultaneous deep breaths and drifted off to sleep.

---------------

“How are you planning to do that?” James asked his niece as he sat and talked to her about her plans to make her ex un-dateable.  They were the only ones in the house.  Her parents were on the way to Denver to pick up Elijah and B- who missed Hanukkah- and Aunt Kenna took Gabe and the twins with her to go shopping for dinner.

“We’re going to build a website”, she said.  “She’s looking into the domain name and stuff like that.  Then we’re going to start putting it together.  I’m just trying to figure out a way to get the word out about the site.”

“Once the site is up, give it to me and I’ll get it up on the Intoxication website.  Talk to your Dad and Aunt Jordan and I’m sure they’ll help out.  Hell, I’ll out it up in all of my personal social media stuff.  He will effectively be smashed and his reputation ruined.  Hell, maybe Aunt Makayla and Uncle Marc will put a link to the sight on their pages.”

“You think?”

“Yeah.  The only thing you can do is ask.  I’m sure it will spread like wildfire once women know that this douche is doing to girls what he does to them.  I mean, you THEN this other girl?  Bull shit.  He needs to be stopped.”

Miranda smiled.  “Thanks Uncle Jay.  Have I told you recently that you’re my favorite uncle?”

“No.  Am I your favorite uncle?”

“For the moment.”  She laughed then made a face in made as the baby kicked.  “I never get used to that.”

“She kicked?”

“Yeah.  That was not fun, by the way.  Just thought I’d share that with you.”

“I have four kids, Miranda.  I was actually present for Kenna’s entire pregnancy with Gabriel.  I remember what Kenna went through.”

“Sorry.  I forgot about that.  You wanna feel?”

James laughed.  “Why not?  I’m here and I don’t think any of my other nieces would make that offer, let alone my own daughters.”

Miranda lifted the hem of her blouse and found where the baby was situated.  “She’s right here.”

James pressed his hand gently against his niece’s abdomen.  “Wow.  That’s something that never gets old”, he laughed and started speaking to the baby.  “Hi there, Gracie.  This is Great- Uncle Jay.  You are going to be the most adored baby in the world after you’re born.  I hope you’re ready for that.”  He pulled his hand away and grinned.  “She’s going to be precious, Miranda.”

“I know, I can’t wait.  And Callan and I are even going to get the last month of my pregnancy together.  He’s going to help me pack for Japan.”

“He got the promotion?”

“Yeah.  He was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant right after he got back to the base after the holidays and given his orders for Japan the same day.  We’ll be heading out there after I’m cleared to travel and all that fun stuff.”

“Congrats to him and good luck to the both of you.  Japan is beautiful in the spring.  The Cherry Trees are in bloom and you can smell them for miles in every okia.”

“I’m really looking forward to it.  I can’t wait to live in Japan.  It’s going to be so much fun, and fresh sushi is always nice.”

“Figures.  I’m with the pregnant one when she starts craving sushi.”

No comments:

Post a Comment