Saturday, December 31, 2011

Chapter 37

David and Brie went out to the cottage and started getting ready to call it a night.  “Do we want to humor Jordan and stay with her for a few days?” Brie asked as she made the both of them hot chocolate.

David sighed.  “I don’t know, dear.  If getting out of the golf care wasn’t testament enough that the cold makes us old prematurely, then I don’t know what is.”

She laughed.  “David, you are nearly 85 years old.  Are you ever going to get old?”

“Maybe when I’m on my death bed but that will be because I’m about to die.”

She shook her head and laughed as she handed him his cup.  “You’re crazy, David.”

“Are you just figuring this out, Brie?” he asked as he laughed along with her.

“No.  I’ve known since we met, if not longer.”  She sipped at the hot chocolate in her mug.

“That’s a relief.  As for Jordan, perhaps we should wait until the spring so that it’s warmer and the kids can have our undivided attention.  The best time would have to be after Miranda’s wedding.  Everyone’s going to be distracted until the wedding is over.”

Brie nodded.  “Sounds like a plan to me.  We’ll tell Jordan when everyone comes over for Hanukkah.”  She sighed.  “The holiday is almost over.  After that, we’re celebrating the New Year and then we’re going home.  Right?”

He nodded as he set the cup down on the coffee table.  “That is the plan.  Once we know when the wedding will be, I’ll book the trip back.”

She nodded and laid her head on his shoulder.  “Sounds good.”  She sighed.  “I’m tired.  Are you ready for bed yet, David?”

“I’m close enough that we could go to bed and turn on the TV, and I’ll be asleep in no time.”

“Then why don’t we do that.  I am exhausted.”

He kissed the top of her head.  “Then let’s go to bed, dear.”

---------------

It was a familiar scene.  Rolling fields of green; the scent of saltwater and rain thick in the air.  Lightning flashed overhead and she saw the cliffs that overlooked the Atlantic Ocean.  She knew what she was seeing because she’d seen them before in life and in dream.

She heard familiar voices in the distance.  The hut she normally saw was a house.  It looked a lot like the one she grew up in.  I should know better shit than this, but I think I’ll go check it out, she thought as she made her way toward the house.

She knocked on the door.  “Mitchell, answer the door”, she heard her mother say.

The door opened and her father gave her a warm smile.  “Nikki girl”, he said joyously.  “Come in, please.”

She went through the door and looked around.  Her mother was in the kitchen making latkes.  It was Hanukkah after all.  Matt was playing videogames with who she assumed was the adult version of the brother she never knew.  It warmed her heart to see them all in one place.

Her mother turned to her.  “Irian.  Come here, child.  Come give me a hug.”

She met her mother at the entrance to the kitchen and they embraced.  “Hello Mama.”

“My only girl”, her mother said.  “How are you?”

“I’m fine mother.  I live in pain these days, but I can handle it.”

“How is David doing?”

“He’s fine mother.  Still insists on taking care of me.”

“And your children?”

“Half of them are ok with us getting older and the other half thinks they have to fret over us for everything we do.”

“Your oldest boy with David is a trip.  We all sit and watch him worry about everything.  Poor Jacob.  He thinks the weight of the world rests on his shoulders.”

“He truly does.  But, he carries a lot of responsibility.  He’s going to be in charge of keeping the family together after David and I are both gone.”

She smiled.  “He’s going to do fine.  You and David have taught him well what leadership is.  He just needs to relax into the role.”  She looked to the boys on the couch.  “Ira, come meet your sister.”

The other man on the couch stood and walked over to the two women.  “Hello little sister”, he said with a grin.  He was built a lot like her son James.  He was tall and thin, but thick in the chest.

She smiled.  “Ira”, she said as tears flooded her eyes.

He took her into his arms and hugged her.  “Hello Brie.”

“You’re calling me Brie.”  She was fighting back the tears that stung her eyes.

“Yeah.  Matt and I are the only ones that do.  Mom and Dad still insist on calling you Irian.”  He kissed her forehead.  “Come on little sister.  Walk with me.”  He looked at Matt.  “I’ll be back in a bit, Matt”, he said and led then outside.  “We figured that if you saw what I would have looked like as an adult for this visit that you wouldn’t panic.  Is it less unsettling for you?”

She nodded.  “Yes, but I’m confused, Ira.  What brings the entire family to me?”

“I’m bringing you a message.  The powers that be thought that seeing all of us- especially Mother- would make this easier for you.”

“What’s the message?”

“You don’t have to suffer the pain you’re feeling much longer.  You and David will both be with us soon.”

“How soon?”

“I don’t know.  I’m new at this ‘otherworld messenger’ gig and they’ve changed some of the procedures.  I can tell you that you’ll be able to greet your great- granddaughter first.”

“Will David have to live long without me?”

“No.  He won’t have to live without you.  Speaking of David, he’s pretty boss.  I’ve been watching since you two got together.  And, tell Jacob that my namesake is a brilliant young man who will find his way soon enough.  And, my great- nephew may surprise his anal retentive father.  Keep that part to yourself.”

She laughed.  “Thank you, Ira.  This has put my mind at ease about a few things.  I’m still sketchy on what I should tell David, who I’m sure is lying next to me wondering what I’m dreaming about.”

“Tell him not to worry, that you’ll both be through suffering soon enough.  And after that, you’ll have all of eternity to get to know me, and I will have the chance to get to know you and your wonderful husband.  Tell him that Mom still says that she wants to steal him from you if she were younger and not married to Dad, and I think he’s amazing.  By the way, what possessed you two to have ten kids?”

“To be honest, sheer dumb luck is what happened with most of it.  We should have stopped at eight.”  She laughed.

“Nah, I think ten suits you.  You have such a big heart and you’re amazing with kids.  Ten kids are perfect for the two of you.  You’re both awesome and patient.  I would have loved to get to know each and every one of them.  They’re all amazing and talented.”

She smiled.  “Thank you, Ira.  It’s a relief to know that everyone is still looking out for me over here.”

“And soon enough, you’ll have the same chance- to look out for and guide your children from this side.  For now, I have to say goodbye little sister.  Take care of yourself and I’ll be seeing you again before you know it.”

---------------

The first time he heard her mumble in her sleep he was wide awake.  He knew that he wasn’t going to sleep well if she was mumbling.  He just laid there next to her and listened as he waited for her to come out of her dream.  She heard her mention her mother and the brother that she’d only learned about 21 years before.  The brother in question would have been the same age as David himself was.

He felt the shirt he had worn to bed that night getting a little wet and looked down to find his wife crying in her sleep.  This can’t be good, he thought.  Whatever it is that she’s dreaming, it’s making her cry.  I hate to see her upset.

After a few more minutes, her eyes cracked open and she blinked away the tears as she pushed herself upright.  He looked at her.  “What’s wrong baby?” he asked.

She took a shuddering breath.  “I saw everyone, David.  My parents, my brothers.”

“What did they have to say?”

“The only one that had anything to say, really, was Ira.  He told me that we’re not going to have to suffer much longer.”

“Really?  How soon?”

“He couldn’t say.  We’ll get to meet little Gracie before we go, though.”

“Who’s going first?”

“He wasn’t really clear on that.  I asked if you were going to have to live long without me and he said no.  But he didn’t elaborate.”

He nodded.  “Mixed blessing, I suppose.  What did you see when the dream started?”

“Ireland and the little house I grew up in when I was a girl in Tennessee.  I knocked and Dad let me in.  Mom was making latkes; Matt and Ira were playing video games.”

“What did Ira look like?”

“James.”

“Tall, thin, barrel chested?”

“Yeah.  That’s what he looked like.  I got a good look at him when Mom told him to come meet me.  I assumed that it was him because he didn’t really take after Dad other than he was tall and thick in the chest.  He took more after Mom in complexion.”

He nodded.  “Any messages for me?”

“Don’t worry; we’ll both be through suffering soon.  And my mother is going to be flirting with you endlessly once we get to the other side.”

“She’s still convinced that she could steal me from you?”

“Apparently, though she did ask about you and how you were doing.”

“That could have been loaded.”

“Oh, I know.  I know my mother.”

“Anything else?”

“Ira wishes he could have met the kids, but I think that was an understood.  But, Ira is looking forward to having eternity to get to know us both.  He’s been watching us since we first met and he says you’re, quote, ‘pretty boss’.”

“Nice.  I’m glad he thinks so highly of me.”

“He seems to like you.  But, what’s not to like?”

He laughed.  “I don’t know.  Is there anything that shouldn’t be liked?”

“Not a thing.  You’re fantastic the way you are, my love.  If you changed, you wouldn’t be you and I’m in love with you and an idea of what you should be.”

“Can I ask what had you crying?”

“Hugging the older brother I never knew for the first time.”

“That makes sense.”

She sighed.  “I don’t think I could go back to sleep.”

He nodded.  “That’s fine, love.  Let’s go into the living room and watch some TV or something, and we’ll just go from there.  I’ll put on some tea for us once we’re out there.”

She nodded and carefully climbed out of their bed.  “Why is it that every time I move, it’s harder and harder to bend in my low back?”

“Because we’re in our 80’s and the vertebrae in your back are fusing again.”

She slid her house shoes on her feet and sighed.  “I hate to say this, but the sooner this is over, the sooner I don’t have to take pain medication just to get through my day.  Tylenol 3, here I come.”

He chuckled.  “Since when are you willing to take pain medication?”

“Since I found one that helps with the pain and doesn’t put me on my ass all day.”

---------------

“Jacob”, he heard, the voice rousting him from a dead sleep.  He shot upright in the bed and looked around.  “Jacob, listen to what I’m saying to you”, the voice said.  The voice was familiar, but it wasn’t.

“Show yourself”, he said into the dark of the room.  “How are you and how do you know my name?”

A tall man that looked a little like his younger brother James stepped out from behind the opened closet door.  “Happy now?  You can see me, nephew.  Are you actually going to listen now?”

“Who are you?  You’re not Uncle Matt.”

“No.  I’m the other uncle.  The Uncle that never got to know you.”

“Uncle Ira?”

“B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o.”

“But you died when you were three.”

“So we’re fudging on my age a little bit.  Does it matter?”

Jake sighed.  “I suppose not.”

“Are you going to shut your yap and listen now?”

“I’m sorry, Uncle Ira.  I’ll be quiet and listen now.”

“Finally.  You’re as bad as your sister Jessykah.”  He sighed.  “Listen to what I’m telling you.  I’ve had to deliver the same message to Maddie, Jeremiah, and Jessi tonight as well.  And I’m doing this all at the same time.  Your parents aren’t much longer for this world.  Those of you that are constantly agonizing about them are going to have to relax and accept that.  Rather than trying to keep them around as long as you can, see what you can do to make the time they have left more comfortable.  Yes, pay attention to them and let them you that you still love them.  But don’t try to prevent your father from doing what he does with your mother on a regular basis.  This goes for all of you, not just those that are receiving this message.  Jordan is just as guilty as the rest of you.”

“But they’re so bad about pushing themselves past their abilities.”

“Then let them do it.  They’re still young at heart.  They still wish that they could go down and dive, but they’ve stopped because they can’t do it any longer.  Your mother’s back started acting up and they stopped diving.  You’re going to want to start seeing an orthopedist soon as well.  You’re back is going to start giving you fits as well.  Fair warning.”

“Why are you telling me all of this?”

“You have big shoes to fill, Jacob, and you should be prepared to do so.  Being the one to help those of your siblings that are still having trouble accepting that your parents are soon to go will finish preparing you to step into your father’s shoes.  Sure, you’re pretty much there, but you still have one more thing to go through that will make you absolutely prepared and that’s your parents’ deaths.”

“Who’s going to go first?”

“The only person that is to know this is you.  Your mother doesn’t even know who’s going to pass when.  They’ll pretty much go one right after the other.  Your mother’s heart will just stop beating, then your father’s.”

“Will we have to bury them separately?”

“No, but I can’t give you any more than that.  I’ve already given you too much.  I’m surprised the powers that be haven’t cut off my speech yet.  They’ve started doing that you know.”

“I didn’t know that.”  Jake sighed.  “Is there anything else I need to know that you can tell me without getting into trouble?”

“Yes.  I know that you’re worried about the son you named after me.  He will find his way; you just have to have patience with him.  I know you wish the boy would make up his mind already, but he needs to take his time.  Let him change his major a few times.  If he feels that it’s not right for him to be in a University setting, then let him drop out and go to a technical school or something like that.  He has to find his way on his own.”

Jake nodded.  “Yes Uncle Ira.  I understand.”

“I have to go now, Jake.  Your grandmamma has latkes ready and before I got sick I loved them.  Hell, I cut my teeth on latkes.”

“Ok, Uncle Ira.  Pass my love on to Grandmamma, Granddad and Uncle Matt?”

“Of course, Jacob.  Get some rest, if I didn’t scare the hell out of you badly enough to keep you from the arms of your beautiful wife.”

“No Uncle.  I’ll be fine.”

“Good bye, Jake.”

He sat up straight in the bed and looked around the room.  It had been a dream.  The Uncle none of them had ever known had come to him and told him, in essence, to relax.  He’d have to discuss the dream with his brother and sisters in the morning.  Maddie and Jessi would be there early to help clean and prepare for the evening’s festivities.  There were only a few more days left of the holiday and he wanted to be sure that everything went down right.  This may very well be the last Hanukkah they got with either of their parents and he wanted to make sure it was one that they would all remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment