Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chapter 36

The holiday started off beautifully.  Callan had never seen the ceremony done before.  His friend in school had only ever told him about the lighting of the candles and the prayers.  Spending the holiday with Miranda, he was allowed to witness the beauty of the prayer as the candle was lit.  Her uncle Jacob was the one to preside and sing the prayer as the sun disappeared behind the horizon.  He was literally moved to tears as he stood and listened.  In the back of him mind, he’d wondered what it had sounded like when her grandfather had been the one singing the prayers.

They had dinner that night, prepared for the family by Aunt Delilah.  It was marvelous.  After the meal had settled on everyone’s stomachs, the gift exchange went down, starting with her grandparents.  They handed out their gifts to each of the grandkids that they’d bought for them and exchanged gifts with each other.

When they opened the gift from her grandparents, tears trickled down Miranda’s cheek.  “Thank you, Gramma and Grampa!” she said as she looked at the blanket they’d given her.  It was a pink blanket that had the baby’s name embroidered into it.  The materials were fleece with a silk backing and trim.  “Gramma, did you embroider this yourself?”

“Lord no, Miranda.  I can’t hold the embroidery needle to do that, and I’ve never been very good at sewing or embroidery.  A former client of mine client of mine runs a shop in town that makes things like that.  I asked her to do that for us so that Grace would have something to remember great-gramma and great-grampa by.  Something that she would feel our love in.”

“It’s beautiful, Mrs. Draiman.  Who decided on what it was supposed to be made of and what it was to say?” Callan asked.

“It was a joint decision”, David explained.  “We agreed on what to have put on the blanket and what it was to be made of.”

“And pink is the universal color of little girls”, Brie laughed.

“We love it Gramma and Grampa”, Miranda said.  “Thank you so much.  Gracie will love it too, I know.”

Brie handed Delilah the gift they got her.  It was a small, simple box wrapped with a little ribbon.  She looked shocked.  “What?  What’s this all about?”

“It’s a Hanukkah present”, David said.  “Just a little something to show our appreciation for getting our children off our asses.”

Delilah pulled the ribbon off of the box and opened it, her jaw falling open once she saw what was inside.  “OH MY GOD!”, she said, stunned.  “It’s beautiful!”  She looked at her husband.  “Baby, look at what your parents got me.”

Jake looked at the pendant in it’s box.  “That’s beautiful.  What are the stones?”

“The children’s birthstones”, Brie said.  “I thought it was fitting.”

“Are you kidding me?” Delilah said.  “I love it.  It’s gorgeous.”  She hugged them both.  “Thank you Mom and Dad.”

They smiled as they returned the hug.  “You’re very welcome”, David said.

“Thank you for getting our children to back off while we’re here for the holidays.”

She pulled back and gave them a smile.  “You’re very welcome.  It’s nice to see everyone a little more relaxed and I would think it’s easier to enjoy yourselves while you’re here without everyone freaking out.  Believe me, it was my pleasure to get everybody to back off.”

They sat back and watched their grandchildren open their gifts from their parents and opened the occasional gift themselves.  New watching- a matching his and hers set- as well as a multitude of different trinket were received with gracious smiles and thinks to those that gave them.  By the end of the night, as they were all eating Hanukkah treats and relaxing, slow smiles spread across David and Brie’s faces.  They were stress free and everyone was happy.  For a family holiday, it couldn’t have been any better.

---------------

The rest of the holiday went much the same way.  Every day preparations were made for the evening’s festivities.  Brie even helped a little in the kitchen, making latkes and other Hanukkah treats.  It was something small that she could do and not overdo it.  She hated feeling like she was just sitting on the couch doing nothing.  She needed to get up and move around a little bit.  It made her happy to feel like she was contributing.

David sat and discussed different topics with the boys.  James talked about Intoxication and the strides they were making.  They’d signed several rock bands, as well as a few rappers and other different bands.  David nodded in approval as he listened to James talk about the record company he’d helped to build.

Jeremiah talked about school and how teaching was going for him.  Being as young as he was and having a PhD was odd as it was.  He told his father how when his students looked at his credentials when he passed out his syllabus at the beginning of every semester.  The looks on their faces when they saw that he had a PhD in Theology, a Masters’ in Philosophy and a Bachelors’ in History was hilarious.  Then they asked him how old he was.  Most people worked their entire lives to earn their PhD’s and Jeremiah was only in his late thirties- jaws hit the floor.  He impressed people.  So young and he’s got his doctorate.  People tended to stand in awe of that when you were in a college teaching environment.

Jake chatted about work and a new research project he and a few of his peers were looking into doing that dealt with MS.  He talked about a few patients that had come down ill with encephalitis and meningitis.  Getting them well was a process, but he was winning what was normally a losing battle.  This was Jacob, after all.  He loved a good challenge.

Marc and JJ were looking at different scripts that Marc could use to try his hand at directing.  Marc had been working with his father in law long enough for JJ to know that Marc was ready and that he would be dedicated.  “There’s been a lot of talk of people trying to write a script based on your memoirs, Dad.  If I can find the right script, would you be alright with JJ and me doing a moving about and Disturbed?”

“I don’t see why not, Marc.  It might be interesting to see that”, David said with a grin.

“You’d come watch a movie about yourself?”

“Sure.  Why not?  Fan art was flattering when I was still recording.  It was awesome to see that kind of stuff.  It would be interesting to see a movie about myself to see how things are interpreted.  What would be even more interesting is to see who you’d get to play me.  Would you be participating in the casting of this whole thing?”

“Yeah.  JJ and I would be executive producers and I’d direct with a little help from my wonderful father in law.”

“Do it, Christopher.  I would love to see how it turns out.”

Marc nodded.  “Cool.  I can’t wait for you to see it Dad.  Right now, it’s a script hunt.  There are a few promising ones out there, but so far we’re not big on either of them.  When Mercedes and I head home, I’ll talk to JJ and see if there are any that have caught his eye.  He’s read your memoir and he wants to be a true to it as he can.”

“I appreciate that.  Perhaps you can find a screen writer that will write it for you.”

“I’ll bring that up to him, Dad.  Thanks for the suggestion.”

“Any time, son.  That’s what I’m here for.”

---------------

Just because it was Hanukkah didn’t mean that chores didn’t get done.  Jordan’s children were no exception.  Levi was straightening up his room while Jasmine had to clean the living room.  “Why am I vacuuming again, Mom?” she asked as she broke out the cordless vacuum cleaner.

“Because I’m going to see if Gramma and Grampa want to come over here tonight to stay with us for the remainder of the holiday”, Jordan explained to her daughter.  “Are you going to keep asking ridiculous questions?”

Jasmine laughed.  “I guess I can”, she said sarcastically.  “What else do we need to do?”

“We need to clean up the guest house out back so that they have space of their own if they do come over here.”

“Is there even furniture out there, Mom?”

“There is furniture out there.  Your father lived out there for a while after we figured out that we weren’t going to work out.  Remember that?”

“Vaguely.  I know things were really awkward between you two for a while.  Then it was like overnight things changed.”

“That’s because it did.  Your Dad and I had a nice long talk so that things wouldn’t be awkward between us.  He was afraid that I was going to oust him because we couldn’t make it work.  I just wanted him to move on.  I wanted him nearby for you and your brother.”

“That’s cool.  I’m glad things worked out”, Jasmine said as she ran the vacuum over the carpet.

“I’ll be right back.  I’m going to go see what your Dad, Levi, and Ronnie are up to so that we can clean out the guest house.”  Jordan disappeared up the stairs as Jasmine put the vacuum back in the closet and grabbed a jacket. 

It was starting to get cold out and it didn’t matter how warm blooded you were when you were in Colorado.  When it got cold outside you put on warm clothes.  Jasmine was the kind of girl that loved to wear short skirts and cute shoes.  She was for all intents and purposes a girly girl.  Her older brother didn’t understand it, but that was because he was a guy.  She argued, but that was because they were siblings.  If they went too far one of their three parents would put an end to it.

Jasmine Draiman considered herself to be lucky that she has three parents- two moms and a dad- active in her life so that she could stay on the straight and narrow.  It was a mixed blessing.  It also meant that she couldn’t get away with a whole hell of a lot.

When her mother came down the stair with her brother and Dad behind her, Jasmine grinned.  “Off to clean up the guest house?”

“Yeah.  Ronnie is busy in our bedroom cleaning it up.  You know how Gramma is about things being clean and in their place, and it doesn’t matter what room of the house it is.  Speaking of, Jasmine Nichelle, what does your room look like?”

“It’s a little cluttered because of school work and stuff like that, but it’s nothing that I can’t get cleaned up quick, fast like, and in a hurry.  It’ll be pretty easy to get it cleaned up before we go over to Uncle Jake’s place for Hanukkah.”

Jordan grinned.  “Is it weird to you that you’re Hawaiian and celebrating Hanukkah?”

Jasmine shook her head.  “Nope.  Not at all.  It’s how I was raised.  This is all I know, Mom.”

Jordan nodded.  “Cool.  Well, while Ronnie is cleaning our room let’s go get this guest house cleaned out from Gramma and Grampa.”

The four of them headed out and started moving out the boxes that had been put in there for storage.  That was what the shed was for.  The boxes contained simple little things that needed to be taken out and put away.  Some of them were old clothes that no one wore anymore.  “I’m really going to have to donate these clothes”, Jordan said with a sigh.  “These boxes take up too much room and needs to be gotten rid of.”

“But MOM”, Levi said.  “Some of these clothes are sentimental.”

“If it’s sentimental, Levi Joseph, then why is it in the box?  There are things that can be done to preserve those articles so that you can preserve the memories attached.  After Hanukkah, I want you and you sister to go through these boxes to see if there are any clothes in them that you want to keep.  Understood Levi?”

Levi grinned.  “Yes ma’am.  In between taking my online finals, Jazz and I can go through these boxes.”

“What you don’t keep I’m donating to Good Will.  I want this shit out of my house.”

“That’s why I put it in the guest house.”

Jordan gave Levi a look that made him stop laughing.  Reece- both kids’ father- stepped in.  “Levi, do as your mother says.  Yes, you’re an adult now, but you’re still technically our dependent.  Straighten up and do what you’re asked.”

Levi sighed.  “Yes sis.”  He looked at his mother.  “I was just kidding, Mom.  I kept all of the stuff that means something to me.”

“Go through them with Jazz and make sure that you didn’t miss anything.  Can you do that for me?”

“Yes ma’am.  I’ll make sure that happens.  After we’re done, we can run it to town for you to make that one less thing you have to worry about.  Aren’t you going into the studio again soon, Mom?”

“Yes, after the New Year.  Uncle Malachai, Logan, and Caleb have been harassing me with music for months now.  It’s making me nuts.”

Jasmine choked on her laughter.  She was trying very hard not to tell her mother that she was already nuts.  If growing up in the family she did hadn’t made her nuts, then certainly Jasmine and Levi would have done it.  She put down the box she had in her hands and turned toward the wall.  “Mom, you… you really need to close that door.  You’re inviting me to be a smart ass.  As for the guest house here, it’s going to take more than just today to have it ready for Gramma and Grampa to stay over.  I’m gonna say it will take almost a week to get it up to Gramma’s standards.”

Jordan sighed.  “It sucks, but you’re right Jazz.  I hate that you’re right about this, but you are.”

“Well, your parents’ would prefer it if we took our time to clean it out and clean it up so that allergies don’t act up.  The last thing we want your folks to be doing is sneezing their heads off because the place is so dusty they can’t breathe”, Reece said, seconding what Jasmine had just said.

“Yeah, you’re both right.  And Dad’s always had horrible allergies.”  She sighed.  “What I’ll do is invite them tonight and see what they say.  If they want to come over, we’ll finish this up.  If not, there’s really no point in cleaning it out.”

“Very true.”

“Can I go pick up my room now?  I have books and stuff to pick up as well as clothes to put away”, Jasmine asked as she pulled her black curls up into a pony tail.  Jasmine was a touch OCD when it came to her room.  Everything had to be in the right spot or she would freak out trying to fix it.  Sometimes the freak out would last for a few minutes as she tried to fix it- sometimes if would last anywhere up to a month or two- but it lasted until whatever the issue was, was handled.

“Go Jazz.  Be ready to leave by three thirty.  I promised Aunt Delilah and Aunt Jona that we’d be there early so that I could help with dinner tonight, seeing as it’s Hanukkah and all.”

“Yes ma’am.  I’ll be ready.  Connie and I have a friendly little competition going anyway.  Who can win the most gelt playing Dreidel.  So far, I’m kicking her ass.”

“Is it just you and Connie playing this?”

“No.  I think Rina, Kenzi, Danica, Zeke, Josh, Nikki, Josie, and Gabe are the ones playing.  The bet is just me and Connie thought.”

“Matt, Sammi, and Seth aren’t playing?”

“They do intermittently.  I’m just in it for the competition and the chocolate”, Jasmine said with a shrug.  “I’m off to clean my room now.  I’ll meet everyone downstairs at 1530.”  She waved a little and sauntered off.

Jordan laughed.  “Why wouldn’t I be surprised if I was the same way when I was her age?”  She looked at Reece and held up a hand.  She knew he had a response.  “Don’t say it, smart ass.  No need for comment from the peanut gallery.”

---------------

The kids all sat around, enjoying their new gifts and playing Dreidel together.  Jordan peeled herself away from Ronnie so that she could talk to her parents.  “Mama, Daddy- can I talk to you guys for a minute?” she asked.

“When have you not been able to talk?” David said, patting the seat next to him.

She took a seat and looked at her parents.  “I was wondering if you might want to come stay with us for a few days.  Change of scenery, you’ll get to be near Levi and Jasmine for a little bit… and it will be nice to have you closer for a couple of days.”

“Scared we’re going to pass on and you’re going to miss it, Jordan?” Brie asked.

“No, I genuinely want you guys closer.  Jake gets you all the time.  He needs to learn to share, damn it.”  She laughed.

David chuckled.  “Maybe so.”  His face sobered almost instantly. “Jordan, you do realize that it’s getting colder and that means it’s getting more and more difficult for your mother and me to get around.  Getting out of bed in the morning is a challenge enough and we keep that little cottage rather warm.”

“I understand that.  I just want you nearby for a few days.  That’s all I’m asking.”

They nodded and exchanged a look.  “We’ll discuss later and get back to you tomorrow night.  Right now, I think it’s about time for us to check out for the night.  It’s been a rather eventful day.  I actually got to help do a little cooking today without hearing a bunch of nervous wrecks worrying over the fact that I could hurt myself.  I have arthritis and carpal tunnel in my wrists; not osteoporosis.  Just saying.”

Jordan smiled.  “I’m glad you got to feel human for a little bit today, Mom.  Let me know what you guys decided when you make a decision.  I’d love to have both of you close to me at the house for a couple of days, at the least, and I think Jasmine has a million different questions she wants to ask.  I don’t know.  It would just be nice to have you at the house for a little bit.  Call me crazy, but it would mean a lot.”

They nodded.  “We understand that.  We need to go to bed for the night.  We’re both rather tired, Jordan”, David said with a sigh.  He was trying to be patient, but he was exactly what he said he was.  He was tired.  He might even get a full night of sleep that night.  He could only hope.  “Jacob!” he called.

“Yes, sir?” Jake called.

“We need to go out to the cottage.  We’re falling asleep on the couch as we sit and watch the kids play Dreidel.”

“I’ll take you.”  He called out to the kids.  “Kids, tell Gramma and Grampa good night and Happy Hanukkah.  They’re going to bed for the night.”

All of the kids came and wished their grandparents a good night with hugs and kisses.  Their own children were sure to wish their parents good night and Jake took them out to the cottage so that they could get some rest.

Their night was far from over though.  It had only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment