Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chapter 31

That night as they made plans to head back to Israel, David and Brie discussed the events of the day and the possibility of not flying for a lot of their trip as well as the events of the day.  “Getting on and off the planes is getting harder and harder”, Brie said as she readied their evening tea.  They had gone out to the cottage instead of staying in the house.

“Driving too great a distance is out of the question as well.  Jacob will shit himself if we drive from here to either coast without one of our children or grandchildren with us.”

“Aren’t there trains still in service?” she asked as she poured the hot water over the tea bags to that their tea could steep.  It was time for them to relax and get ready to try to go to bed.

“Let me check.”  He was on his computer right away searching.  “As a matter of fact, yes.  The station’s in Denver.  We can leave from Denver to LA, catch a plane from LAX to Beijing, and from there get a train to Jerusalem.  It will take about five days but if we leave the day after tomorrow, we’ll be there in time for your appointment.”

“I just hope the food is better on the train than it is on the plane.”

“Is the food that bad?”

“The Kosher meals are, or have you not noticed?”

“Remember, I’m used to eating airplane food.  Granted your cooking is better, but when it’s what you’ve got it’s not that bad.”

She laughed as she set his green tea in front of him.  “If you say so David.  Just book it.  It will at least give us some time alone without our children constantly asking if we’re ok.  It’s rather nerve racking.”

“I know.  It’s getting on my nerves too.”

“How is it that you’ve become more patient with time and I’ve lost patience?  I’m to the point where if he asks, ‘Mom, are you feeling ok?  Have you taken your insulin today?’ one more fucking time; I’m going to take his head off of his shoulders.”

“No you won’t.  You’ll bite his head off, but you won’t knock it off.”

“I want to though.  I’ve never wanted to hurt our kids like that, but Jake’s annoying at 45.”

“I agree.  And it doesn’t help that he’s got Jeremiah and Jessi in on it.  Every time one of us blinks for a second too long, someone’s asking if we’re ok.  Jake’s favorite point to pick at with me is my blood pressure.”

“I’ve noticed.  Your blood pressure and my sugar.  If I recall, we’ve been taking care of ourselves for over 80 years and each other for nearly 50 of those.  We’re not children.  And if they’re fear is that we’re going to go before our due time, I hate to say it but when we pass on it’s our time.  We’re old enough for death to be a real possibility.”

“I know.  I think they’re all afraid that I’m going to leave you alone in that little house in Jerusalem.  There won’t be any one to take care of you because I’ll be gone.”

“And if that’s what happens, I’ll sell to house to Jessi and David Adam and move back here so that Jake can fuss over me until I finally join you on the other side.  I would hope that you would do that same thing if I go before you do.”

“That would be the plan, but I would just give them the house rather than sell it to them.”

“Being DAD and giving your baby the house she spends more time in than we do?”

He chuckled.  “Something like that.”

She laughed and sat back against the couch they shared.  “So, what do you think of Callan?”

“I made my opinion of him well known.  He was man enough to look me in the eyes and said that he was honored yet intimidated, told me that he loved Miranda, and that it made no difference to him if Miranda was pregnant with another man’s child.  I respect that.”

She smiled as she sipped her tea.  “I’m more than inclined to agree.  That took serious stones.”

“It did.  And when they came down for dinner, they were excited and happy.  Hell, they were cute.  Reminded me of all of our children when they found their significant others.”

“And us when we finally decided that we were in a relationship rather than you were protecting me?”

“There was that.  We did have our moments when we were cute enough that the sweetness would rot people’s teeth.”

“We still are sweet enough to rot people’s teeth, David.  We’ve always been that in love.”

He sipped his tea and leaned back against the couch next to her.  They were ignoring the television.  Their conversation was far more interesting.  “Any regrets?”

“About you?”

“Yeah.”

She shook her head.  “None.  As I’ve said a million times before, I knew exactly what I was getting into when we got together.  What about you?  Any regrets?”

“Only that I couldn’t take you out on the road with me like I had wanted to.  How were you so cool about it?  Weren’t you jealous when the other wives were able to go on the road with their husbands and you were stuck at home?”

“I was, I’ll admit.  But, I also knew that we had a lot more kids than the other guys had and we started a little later so I was content to stay here so that the kids could have normal lives.  That’s what we wanted for them.  I got to travel with you after I retired, so I’m happy with that.  Our children being well adjusted is what mattered to me.”

“You are now and always will be my angel, Brie.  Always have been.”

“And you are now and always will be my rock, David.  Always have been.  You’re the best man I know.  Don’t ever doubt it.”

“You should never doubt that you’re the best woman I know, either.  The strongest, bravest, most intelligent woman I’ve ever known.  I’d be lost without you, my love.”

She took his cup from him and set it on the coffee table before leaning in to press her lips to his.  She didn’t have the words to say what he meant to her so she showed him.  In the back of her mind she wondered if she could still do the one thing that always amazed him and not regret it in the morning.

---------------

Jeremiah was up really late that night.  He wanted to get as many as the papers done as he could before going to bed and curling up next to his wife.  He started with the history papers.  They were group papers and he only had two classed.  The groups classes were divided into were groups of four which gave him about 16 papers to grade.  He was half way through when he started rubbing his eyes.

“‘Miah, baby, please come to bed.  It’s late”, Jona said from their bedroom.

“I’m almost done with the paper I’m on and I’ll be along, love.  Go on back to sleep.”

She came out and sat down next to him on the couch.  “Why are you in such a rush to grade these papers?”

“Because I’d like to enjoy a little of the time I have off before going back to class.  Fall break is a lot like Spring Break except for the fact that the kids don’t run off to Cancun and make fools of themselves on national television.  It’s a week off in the middle of the fall before the big holiday breaks.”

“You don’t want to spend the week trying to play catch up?”

“Exactly and from what Jake told me after dinner, Mom and Dad are looking to head home this week until Thanksgiving.  Mom has an appointment in Israel next week.  They’re probably leaving soon.  True I have the rest of the week to grade papers if I want to spend tomorrow with my parents.”

“Are you rationalizing not coming to bed, baby?”

He laughed.  “Possibly.  I’m so tired I don’t know what I’m trying to do.”

“Then put the papers away and let’s go to bed.”

He sighed.  “You’re right.  I’m going to have to put the papers away.  I’ve read the same paragraph ten times, two of which have been since you came out here.”  He put the paper back in the folder and closed it.

“That’s it, ‘Miah.  Come to bed with me.  Our bed is awfully cold without you next to me.”

“Then why don’t we go take care of that and warm it up?”  She put the folder in his satchel and took it into the room as she led him. 

After he kicked the door closed she pulled him to the bed and they climbed in, cuddling against the front of his body as they spooned.  “Now this is much better.”

“I’m glad.  You want to turn on the television and relax?”

“I don’t really care, Jeremiah.  Whatever you want.”

He smiled and kissed her hair.  “That’s supposed to be my line, Jona.”

“We can share it, can’t we?”

“What would I do without you?”

“I don’t know?  You’d probably still be awake grading papers.”

He laughed.  “Probably.”  He turned her face so that he could give her a kiss with a gentle press of his lips.  “I love you, Jona Eavan.”

“And I love you, Jeremiah Alexander.  Now, let’s go to sleep.  I’m tired and I’m sure you are too.”

“I am very tired.  The brightest part of my day was going out to the stable with Rina.  She loves that horse.”

“I know.  She’s doing so well with him.  Eventually, we should get him a pasture mate.”

“Maybe.  Of course, we’ll have to talk to Dad or Jake about it- depending on who’s here at the time.  I think Ranger needs to get used to having freedom before we go and get him a little stable mate.”

“That’s fine.  We can talk about it again later.  Let’s go to sleep now.”

“Sounds good.  To sleep with us, then.”  He closed his eyes and took a deep breath to relax.

As he drifted off, he thought about his day with his little girl.  He had fun watching her ride the horse and getting on and riding with her.  She was becoming quite the little equestrian.  If she stayed small, she could even be a jockey.  Maybe she would go to the Olympics like her Aunt Jessi did with Softball.

And his son, Matthew.  What a wonder young man.  He was shy like his parents, but he was brilliant.  A talented soccer player.  Jake had been working with him and Seth when he had time off of work to help them with their ball handling.  The boys enjoyed having the extra help and they loved that Dad/ Uncle Jake was taking the time.  Sometimes, Jeremiah would even get out there and they would play two on two soccer games.  They were always fun.  Miah certainly enjoyed them when he had the time to play.

As he thought about his children, he thought about the woman in his arms whom he loved with everything he was.  She was so loving and patient with him and knew when he needed to take a break.  Being the head of a department at the school he worked at was a bitch.  She knew how to defuse his stress when he came home from his late classes.

He smiled slightly as he sighed contently and drifted into the land of Morpheus after settling deeper into the softness of the mattress of the bed he and his wife of sixteen years shared.

---------------

When Jeremiah awoke the next morning he was alone in bed.  Jona had gotten up for the day and went into the clinic.  As he opened his eyes, he heard his son trying to wake his little sister.  “Rina, get up!” Matt said.  “You have to take care of Ranger.”

“I don’t wanna!  I’m tired, Mattie!”

“Ranger is your responsibility, sis.”

“I can’t do it by myself though.  Can’t you help me?”

“Sammi’s going to meet you out there to help you.  I have to help Seth with the dogs.  After that we’re going to go get Gramma and Grampa Draiman from their cottage for the day.”

Jeremiah got up and pulled on a tank top on to see what was going on.  His house shoes slid on to his feet and he stepped out of the bedroom.  “Matthew, what’s going on?”

“Seth and I have to take care of the dogs and Rina should have already been up to feed and groom Ranger.  Samantha said she’d help Rina if she would get up to do so.  Sammi has Cheer practice the school later this morning.”

“I know.  Uncle Jake asked me to drop her off,”

“Well, Sammi can’t help Rina if Rina’s not at the stable.”

“I get that.  I’ll deal with you sister.  Go help Seth with the dogs and get your grandparents.”

Matt grinned.  “Ok, Dad.  I’m out of here.”

Matt ran out of the small house he’d grown up in and Jeremiah went into Rina’s room.  “Up and at ‘em, Princess.”  He yanked her covers off.  It was something both of his parents had done to him and his siblings when they didn’t want to get up.  The method was tried and true.

She sat up quickly.  “Daddy, what are you doing?!”

“Get out of bed, Rina Brielle.  You have a horse to take care of.  You wanted that horse; you’re damn well going to take care of him.  If I go tell Grampa David that you don’t want to get up and take care of the horse he’s going to call and talk to Eli to have B’s grandparents get in touch with me to sell it.  And you know what?  I’m going to do it for very good price.  From what I understand, a stallion of Ranger’s breed goes for a very pretty chunk of change these days.  Then you take into consideration his age and the fact that he used to be a racing horse and that just boosts the price.”

“How do you know all of this?”

“I do a lot of things on my lunch break at the school, baby girl.   Now, you get your ass out of that bed or I’m going to tell Grampa David and Gramma Brie that you’re not taking care of the horse and we’re going to sell it.  You don’t want that do you?”

“You wouldn’t!  Gramma and Grampa said it was my birthday present from them!”

“Then if you don’t want to lose your birthday present, I suggest you get yourself out of that bed and meet Samantha out at the stable.  If I know her she’s already waiting on you to get out there so that you can get it done and over with.  Remember, she has cheer practice.  She has a game this Friday.”

“Ok.  I’ll get up.  I don’t want you guys to sell Ranger.  I do love him.”

“If you love you, then you know what you have to do.”

“Yeah.  I have to take care of him.”

“Good girl.  Now, get dressed and get out to the stable quickly or you can say goodbye to your horse.”  Once he saw her feet on the floor and she started digging through her drawers he walked out of the room and shut the door so that she could get dressed.  He popped his neck as he walked into the bedroom again and grabbed his satchel that he used to carry all of his stuff to and from the school with.  He despised school growing up, and now he was not only a teacher, but he was a college professor.  Oh sweet irony, thy name is Doctorate.

Once he saw Rina head out the door, he trudged into the house to get a cup of coffee and grade a few papers before his parents were in for the day.  He was a rather quick reader and he could spot grammatical and spelling error in his sleep.  He was that good and it didn’t matter if he was tired or not.  He was a well-oiled machine when it came to reading essays.  When you’ve been teaching for 20 year- 17 of those were at the college level- you learned how to do stuff like that.  On the inside of the sliding glass doors to the house he was raised in- the house that he’d started his own family in- was coffee and breakfast.  A bagel would have been fine.  He wasn’t one to eat a lot in the morning.  His main goal was the coffee.  Caffeine was the thing he needed to make his brain function.

---------------

Jake came home for lunch right as Jeremiah was pulling up to the driveway from dropping Samantha off at the school.  They exchanged a brotherly hello in the garage.  “Hey Jake.  Decided to take your hour and a half here at the house?”

“Nope.  I don’t have any appointments for the rest of the day.  If there’s an emergency, Skyla knows how to get a hold of me.  Being here is far more fun.”  He winked.

“You’re here because Dad wants the family here for dinner tonight and Delilah has a honey do list.”

“Something like that.  Mom and Dad are leaving tomorrow afternoon by train.”

“What?  No flights?”

“Yeah, from LA to Beijing and then it’s a train from there to Jerusalem where Jessi and Dave will pick them up.”

“So, what’s the list Delilah has for you?”

“It’s a shopping list.  She wants me to get a shopping list from Mom and Dad and go get it.  You feel like going shopping with your big brother, ‘Miah?”

Jeremiah laughed.  “Maybe.  It depends on how well Rina’s been behaving.  She didn’t want to get out of bed this morning.”

“Oh?  So that’s why Sam called me this morning.  She was complaining about Rina, but she was talking so fast that I couldn’t understand her.”

“Yeah.  Rina was being Little Miss Lazy Bones this morning.”

“How did you motivate her?”

“I did what Mom and Dad used to do to us unless we were running a fever.”

Jake laughed.  “Nice.  That’s great.  I’ve had to do that with both of the boys before.”

“What about your girls?”

“No.  They’re as bad as Jordan used to be.”

“Oh yeah.  I remember.  I covered for a friend at the high school one morning while Miri was still in school.  She nearly died of embarrassment when she had to ride to school with Uncle ‘Miah.”

“That was funny.”  Jake sighed.  “Well bro, let’s go find out what Mom and Dad want for dinner before they leave us until Thanksgiving.”

“While we’re at it, we should find out if they’re going to stay through Hanukkah when they come out next.”

“It’s something to keep in mind.  Let’s head in, ‘Miah.  You know Delilah.  She’s patient, but she’s like Mom.  She wants things done on her schedule and not the other way around.”

“Very true.  If need be, while you’re shopping, I’ll make phone calls.”

“Good idea.  In we go now.  Let’s not keep my wife waiting even though she’s at work.”  And with that, they shut their car doors and headed into the house to talk to their parents about the family dinner that night and what they wanted to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment