Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chapter 5

At breakfast the next morning Levi, Ira, and Anthony were bright eyed and bushy tailed.  They had  questions they wanted to ask their grandparents.  Jake was in the kitchen reading the morning paper rather than at his office.  “What are you doing here, Dad?” Ira asked as he pulled out a seat.

“My first few appointments for the day had to reschedule, so I’m here enjoying a little time off before I go in and diagnose headaches all day”, he said with a laugh.

“Headaches?  Those are expensive headaches if they’re getting in to see you, Uncle Jake”, Levi chuckled.

“Hell yeah, they’re expensive headaches.  You can’t pay chump change to see me, man.  I make exceptions for long time patients, but new patients have to have good insurance”, Jake laughed too.

Anthony took a deep breath.  “Hey, Uncle Jake.  You think you can handle a little competition for top doc in the family?”

“You challenging me, Tony?” Jake asked.

Anthony shrugged.  “Maybe.  I just want you to know, though I’m sure you’ve been told, I’m coming for you Dr. Draiman.”

“Should I be scared?” Jake asked sarcastically.  “You have a LOT to do to outdo me, Anthony Robert Draiman.  You have big shoes to fill indeed.  You have no idea just how big those shoes are.  I never brag about this, but I was awarded the Nobel Prize.  They don’t just give that away.  There is no way in hell that you can out do me.  But, if you want to give it a try, feel free.  Make sure you’re wearing your big boy pants though, because if you make it into Johns- Hopkins I’m going to see to it personally that you get your ass handed to you by the teachers.”

“Don’t want me getting special treatment because you’re my uncle?”

“Exactly.  I want to make sure that you get no shortcuts.  Short cuts are for the weak minded.  You want to come after me for some reason, like you have something to prove, then be prepared.”

“I just wanted to put you on notice.”

“The moment you opened your mouth to do so, Anthony, you laid down a gauntlet.  Be a big boy and take your lumps as they come.  You got into the Pre- Med program at Loyola, right?”

“Yeah.”

“While I’m at work today, I’m gonna make a few phone calls.  See if there’s anyone I know in the department and I’m gonna let them all know not to cut you any slack because you’re my nephew.  I want them to give you the same hell I had to go through when I was in the program out there.”

“Sounds good.  I don’t want any breaks because the infamous Dr. J. Micah Draiman is my uncle.  I want them to give me what for.”

Jake nodded.  “You’re a brave soul, Anthony.  When you graduate, I’ll be proud to call you my colleague and address you with the title of Doctor.”  Jake took a sip of his coffee.  “Now, I’m going to go check on your grandparents.  I shall return shortly.  Don’t talk too much trash while I’m gone because I will hurt your feelings.  And that goes for all three of you; especially you, Benjamin.”

Ira rolled his eyes.  “Please, Dad.  What am I going to do?  Call you crazy behind your back?  Why, when I can do it to your face?” 

Ira flashed his smile, and it was like Jake was staring into a mirror.  It was his smile.  Like he was his father’s clone, Ira was his.  Jake shook off the shock visibly.  “Just… behave yourself, Ira.”  He walked away.

Ira called after his father, “What’s the fun in that?”

---------------

“B, I’m scared”, Elijah said as he sat at breakfast with the person that was sleeping in his bed the night before.

“Of what, Eli?”

“Of how everyone’s going to react.  I mean, my grandfather is 84.  He’s set in his ways and stubborn.  What if he freaks out and disowns me?  I’ll lose my inheritance- not that I’m worried about it.  I’ll lose his respect.  I love my Grampa and if he freaks, then I don’t know what I’ll do.”

“Judging from everything you’ve told me, I don’t think that’s going to happen, boo.  You’re freaking out for no reason.  I mean, he didn’t freak about your aunt, did he?”

“Not that I know of.”

“Then what are you really worried about?  It can’t be this intimidating Granddaddy of yours.”

“It’s not just him.  It’s my Dad too.  I mean, my older brother and sister went to Julliard.  I didn’t.  I had no interest in performing.  I hate the stage.  So, I went to Loyola and studies Art and Art History.  That’s just what felt right.  I think my dad was a little disappointed that I didn’t want to be onstage.”

Brandon, or B, sighed.  “Eli, baby, don’t worry about your Daddy.  So what if you’re disappointing him?  You’re a grown man.”

“I wish I had your confidence.  How long ago did you come out?”

“I’ve been out since high school.”  B reached across the table and took Eli’s hands.  “Boo, it’s gonna be ok.  Hell, if it will help, I’ll wait in the car until you get it out to everyone and you come get me or storm out like a drama queen.  Ok?”  He flashed the smile that always made Elijah’s knees week.

Elijah smiled back.  “Thanks babe.  You always know what to say.”  He brought one of the hands that was in his up to his lips and pressed a kiss to the back of it.  “It no wonder why I love you.”

“If you didn’t, then I’d be worried.  What’s not to love?” B joked.  All Eli could do was roll his eyes and laugh.

---------------

“Daddy, I need to talk to you”, Miri said when she came down for breakfast.

“What’s wrong, Miri baby?” Jake asked his daughter.

“Do you think it would be possible for me to bring one of the horses at the shelter out here for rehab?  The shelter just called me and asked if we could do it.  They know that we have a lot of land and the hills would be good for the horse.”

Jake nodded.  “The house belongs to me, Miri.  The land doesn’t yet.  That’s something that you’re going to have to discuss with your grandfather.”

“What do you think he’ll say?”

“What will who say about what?” David asked as he came into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee.

“Grampa, is there any way we could host one of the horses at the shelter?  They’ve been getting a lot of horses in recently and this one needs special rehab”, Miri explained.

“Where are we going to keep it, Miriam?”

“They said that they’ll put up the barn and the fence.  Because of the breed of horse he is, he needs the hills.  Please Grampa?”  Miri didn’t usually beg unless it meant something to her.  This was something that was very important.  “I wouldn’t normally ask, but he needs the help.”

David thought about it for a moment.  “Go ask your grandmother.  If she says yes, then it’s yes.”

Miri hugged her grandfather.  “Thank you Grampa!  I love you!”

“Don’t thank me yet, Miri.  Ask Gramma Brie first, then come tell me the answer.”

Miri went into the living room where her grandmother was listening to her little cousin Rina recount her last few days of school.  “Gramma, that boy almost got it right in the kisser.”

Brie laughed.  “Rina, you need to check that temper.  It’s as bad as your Grampa David’s.”

“I know, Gramma.  I’m trying, but he just wouldn’t stop pulling my hair.  Like these locks are easy to control”, Rina said as she ran her fingers through her wavy brown hair.

Brie laughed.  “Rina Brielle, go play.  I’m sure that cousin Abby would love to play dolls or something.”  The little girl scurried off and Brie looked at Miriam.  “Yes, baby?”

“Grampa told me to come ask you if we could host one of the horses at the shelter.”

“Why did he do that?”

“I guess for you to make up his mind for him.  He’s never been able to tell you no.”

Brie laughed.  “Ok.  Convince me.  What’s going on?”  Miri recounted everything she’d just told her father and grandfather and Brie listened carefully.  She nodded.  “And you’re going to be completely responsible for rehabbing this horse?”

“Yes Gramma.  I’ll be working him out, caring for him… everything.  It will be my job.  I won’t expect anyone else to do it.”

“What about feed for the horse?”

“They’re going to supply it.  They’ve had a recent large donation from a prestigious and anonymous donor and they’re trying to put it to good use.”

“So, what all will you need from your Grandfather and me?”

Miri smiled.  “I can keep him here?”

“Yes, Miriam.  Now answer the question.”

“I’ll need a saddle, brushes, all of the cleaning supplies, and I’ll need to get him shoed, but not for a while.  They’re trying to clean up an infection in his leg.”

Brie nodded.  “Go get Grampa for me, baby.” 

Miri left and did what she was asked.  David just came to the door.  “Yes?”

“She can keep the horse.  She’s gonna need a few things from us.  One’s a onetime purchase.”

“Lemme guess, a saddle.”

“Yep.”

“Alright.  It’s hers.  I just wanted to know what you had to say about it.”

She blew him a kiss.  “I love you.”

He caught the kiss and stuck it in his pocket.  “I’ll hang onto that for later.  I love you too.”

---------------

The drive to homestead was sheer torture.  He was NOT looking forward to telling his family what he had to say.  He wanted to scream and cry.  He had always been more emotional of the older three of his father’s children.  Even his sister didn’t get emotional unless she was onstage.

B had to drive because Eli was shaking too badly to control the wheel.  All he could do was make a few phone calls to make sure that the entire family was in the same place so that he didn’t have to repeat himself and to warn everyone at homestead that he was coming and that he had a bomb to drop.  After he hung up, he sat in the passenger seat and bit his nails.  “Eli, stop it.  That’s a disgusting habit.”

“I know, B, but I can’t help it.  It’s a nervous habit.”

“And you’re wrecking your nails.”

Eli sighed.  “I know, babe.  I’m sorry, but it’s either I bite my nails or I crack my knuckles.”

“I’d prefer your nails than the sound of your knuckles”

“I know, that’s why it’s my nail and not my knuckles.”

B reached over and put a hand on Eli’s thigh.  “I love you.  You know this.  Just calm down, boo.  It’s not going to be as bad as you think.”

Eli nodded.  “You’re probably right and I’m trying, but this isn’t exactly easy.”

“I know it’s not.  Coming out isn’t easy.  It never is, but I think you’re blowing it out of proportion.”

All Eli did was nod and think, If only you know, Brandon.  If only you knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment