Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chapter 14

The next morning, Isaiah and Eli did exactly as they said they were going to do. When they saw that Miranda was away from Zack for a couple of minutes they grabbed Ira, Levi, and Anthony, and cornered Zack after explaining what was going on to their younger cousins. "Hey asshole", Isaiah said. "Listen real close because I'm not going to repeat myself. You need to grow a set if you're going to continue to be with Miranda. She's a strong girl and she needs a strong guy. Stop being a pussy and be a man."

"My relationship with Miranda is really none of your business. I assure you that we're just fine. Thank you for your concern though, boys", Zack responded to the young men that were now surrounding him.

Ira shook his head. "No, joker, you don't seem to understand. Treat Miranda like the strong independent woman she is or we're going to beat your face in. Act like a man or we will beat the boy out of you. That's what we're trying to say. Are you comprehending any of this or do we need to break into song?" Ira was being a sarcastic ass but he was good at it.

"No. The song won't be necessary. But, I will say butt out one more time. It's between myself and Miranda."

"Hurt her in any way, Zachary, and you won't live long enough to regret it. You will die a very painful death", Elijah said. The tone in his voice was one of disdain and distrust. He was almost positive that Zack was going to hurt his big sister somehow and when that happened, he hoped his father called him. He seriously wanted to beat the loser. He could already tell that things weren't going to end well between the douche standing before him and his big sister.  And when things did end, Zack was going to have the entirety of the men of the Draiman family on his ass.

“Just heed our warning”, Levi said.  “Hurt Miranda and you’ll be very sorry.”  The boys walked away and went to watch their parents having their pictures taken again with their grandparents.

When Miranda came back over to where Zack was standing, he looked at her.  “Your brothers and cousins need to step off.”

“No they don’t.  They’re looking out for me.  That’s what we do in this family.  No matter what walk we’re on, we all know we’re not talking the walk alone.  We have 50+ people right there with us.  You don’t like it?  Take your punk ass back to New York.  I’ll see you at the theater.  Get your shit out of my apartment too, mother fucker.”

“Excuse me?”

“BITCH, DID I STUTTER?” she screamed in his face.

All of her Uncles and her grandfather were there in no time, David walking at a relaxed pace as his boys separated his granddaughter from the guy she’d brought to meet him.  Once he reached the site of the fight, his boys parted the way and he looked the young man in the eyes.  “You grew a back bone but it went in the wrong direction, son”, he said with the shake of his head.  “You don’t disrespect my granddaughter like that.  You now have two choices.  One, you can walk off of my property on your own.  Two, my sons and her brothers can throw you off of the property.  Either way, I’m sure her father has a few very choice words for you.  So, Zachery, which will it be?”  The look on his face was peaceful.  He didn’t care either way as long as the boy left.

Zack pulled away and shook off the Draiman men that had ahold of his clothes and arms.  “I’ll walk thanks.”

“Oh hell no you don't, you little bastard”, Malachai said angrily.  “Like my father said, I have a few choice words for you before you leave.  You made a HUGE mistake coming onto my father’s property and talking to my daughter like that, you little piece of shit.  Who the fuck do you think you are?”  He paused for a moment to see if the boy would respond.  “You know what?  Never mind.  Don’t answers.  If you speak to Miranda again, I will beat the shit out of you.  My boys won’t mess with you because I’m going to take your fucking head off.  I know you’re in that play together, but come near her other than that and I’m going to dismantle you.  Now, step.”  Malachai pointed down the driveway and stared daggers at the boy.

“This is that last you’ll hear from me.  I couldn’t stand you people anyway.”

Isaiah and Eli jumped like they were going to bum rush the boy but Malachai held his arms out in front of them and stopped them with the shake of his head.  “He’s not worth the energy boys.  He’s worthless.  He has no idea just how good a girl he just lost.”

Zack walked down the driveway and headed toward town, hoping he’d see a taxi he could flag down to take him to the airport.  Fuck the Draiman’s, the thought.  They’re all idiots anyway.  I hope I never have to deal with Miranda or the rest of her fucking family ever again.  After RENT, I’m going to audition for the lead in that new show that’s opening in a couple of months and I’m going to skyrocket.  I don’t need Miranda.  All she’ll do is hold me down.  His stride became more determined as he headed toward the town.  But he had no idea just how far out in the middle of nowhere the Draiman family actually lived.

---------------

As the day continued on, Miri kept an eye on her older cousin.  Miranda had always been there for her.  It was her turn to be supportive of her cousin.  “You ok, Miranda?” she asked.

Miranda nodded.  “I’m just sick of douchebags treating me like dirt.  You know what I mean?”

“Yeah.  My dad just went off on one of those douche bags.”

“I heard about that.  That was funny.  So, when do you get your horse?”

“As soon as all this is over and Grampa gives the word.  The barn is ready and I have all of the supplies I’ll need.  Gramma and Grampa even bought me a saddle.”

“Nice.  Are you gonna let me ride him?”

“Not until he’s not so easy to spook.  It’s gonna take a LOT of patience to get him there, but I’ll get him there.”

“I know you will.  You love animals so much.  I remember when you got Kimiko from Aunt Jona and Uncle ‘Miah.”

“I know.  I’ve always loved that damn fish.  And she was a hatchling when I got her.  She was a minnow.”

“I remember that too.”  She sighed.  “Miri.  Is it ever gonna get better?”

Miri laughed.  “Aren’t I supposed to be asking you that question?”

Miranda laughed.  “True.  I just feel so discouraged right now.  The guys I keep meeting are assholes.”

“I know the feeling.  But you know what?  All I do is look at my parents, and our grandparents, and I know that my prince is out there somewhere and that I’ll find him somehow.”

“Easy for you two say.  Your parents have always been perfect for each other.  Mine used to fight all the time when I was around Rina, Abby, and Gabe’s ages.”

“I know.  But that’s life.  I’m sure my folks fight.  They just never did in front of us.”

“Like Gramma and Grampa never fought in front of our parents, or us.”

“Exactly, if they fought at all.  Though, I have heard stories about Grampa calling Gramma stubborn and Gramma calling Grampa a hot head.”

“Oh, I’ve heard those stories too.  They’re pretty funny.”  Miranda smiled.  “I want what Gramma and Grampa have.  I want a relationship that’s easier than breathing.  It’s just natural, ya know?”

Miri nodded.  “I know.  I want that too.  But, how can we know exactly what we’re looking for unless we date a few lemons?”

Miri had a point and Miranda know it.  All she could say in return was, “Touché, little cousin.  Touché.”

---------------

Finally, the pictures were done that evening.  There would be no more.  Brie and David were sitting in the living room enjoying a movie as Jake settled up with the photographer.  “You know Dr. Draiman, I think I’m just going to have to develop a group rate for things like this”, she said with a laugh.

“I completely understand that.  If you ever have a group this big again, it would probably behoove you to have one”, Jake said with a laugh as well.  “So, what do I owe you?”

“Let’s just call it $3,500.  That will be my new group rate.”  She just couldn’t stop laughing.

Jake’s chest shook in laughter as he wrote out the check.  “Here you go.”

“I’d tell you don’t worry about it, but I’ve got to pay the bills somehow.”

“No.  I totally understand.  Don’t worry about it.  If we need you again, I’ll be sure to give you a call.”

She smiled.  “Sounds good.  It was a pleasure.  Never a dull moment.”

“Not supposed to be one.  When were we going to go through the shots?”

“I like to print off test photos or each shot, then I’ll come back and we’ll all look at them so you can choose the ones you want.”

He nodded.  “When can we expect you?”

“I’ll call you.”

“Would you like my personal number?  The number you have is the one I use for my practice and when I’m getting called for consults and stuff.”

“Sure.”  He gave her his personal number.  “Ok.  We’re good for now.  I hope you like the work I did.”

“I’m sure we will.  Have a good day, Kelly.”

“You too, Doctor.”

Jake laughed.  “She’s a trip!” he said as he took a seat in the arm chair next to the couch.

“She is.  I just hope her work is good.  It would really look bad if you shelled out $3,500 for shitty work”, David said, never taking his eyes off of the TV screen.

“True.  She said she’ll call me back after she’s done printing off all of the test prints.  From there, she’ll bring them here and we can pick the ones we want.”

“Sounds good”, Brie said.  “I can’t wait to see the pictures she got.  I hope they’re good.”

“You and me both.”

“Why did you pay her $3,500 if you weren’t sure if the work was going to be good?”

“Because the girl came out here three days in a row and put up with the chronic chaos that is this family.  She deserves some sort of compensation.”

“You’re too nice some times, Jake”, David said.  “I wouldn’t have paid until I saw the work.”

He shrugged.  “So sue me.  That’s one of the differences between us, I guess Dad.”

David nodded.  “Guess so.  Glad you’re sticking by your decision, just like your mother and I taught you.”

“Of course.  Why would I waver.  It was my decision.  This was my gift to everyone.  Now, are you and Mom going to eat in here tonight?”

They exchanged a look and Brie shrugged.  “I don’t care, David.  Whatever you want to do.”

David smiled at his wife.  “Do you want to cook tonight?”

“Not really.  I’m kinda tired.”

“Then you’re staying in here.  Are you sleeping in here?” Jake asked.

“It depends on if your mother passes out on my shoulder tonight”, David said with a chuckle.

“If Delilah cooks a dinner that puts me to sleep, then we’ll probably be staying in here”, Brie laughed.

“I’ll make sure Delilah puts extra sleeping powder in the stuffing”, Jake said with a laugh.

“Don’t make threats, Jacob Micah, that you won’t make good on.”

He laughed and walked away.  “Yes ma’am.”

---------------

Miranda was finally packed. It was time to go back to New York. She needed to get back for rehearsals and she wanted to be sure that Zack didn't take anything that wasn't his. She wanted to make sure that the locks got changed on her loft too so that he couldn't just walk into her house. That wasn't about to happen. "I'm ready to go, Daddy", she said as she pulled her suitcase behind her down the stairs.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go back with you?" her father asked.

"Isaiah's going back with me, Dad. He'll keep Zack in line."

Malachai sighed and shook his head. "I don't like it. I'm gonna call Travis to go with you two. It's not that I don't trust Isaiah, but Travis is trained to handle thus kind of stuff."

She nodded. "Ok Dad." She knew not to argue with her father. It was pointless. He would get what he wanted whether she wanted it or not. He was extremely protective of his daughters and had to make sure that they were ok. He trusted his boys, but he wanted the extra insurance. It was one of the few times that Miranda was thankful that Morbus had retired ten years before. Se shuttered to think of how Morbus would handle Zack.

"Travis is unavailable the moment, but Will will be here shortly", her father said, interrupting her thoughts

"Ok, Daddy", she answered.

"You seemed like you were deep in thought for a moment, baby. What's on your mind?"

"I was just thinking about how I'm glad Morbus retired. I shudder to think what he would do."

"Oh, I'm sure if I asked Grampa to call him for this, he'd meet you in New York."

"I know Daddy. That's what has me scared."

Malachai laughed. "As tempting as it is, I'm not going to do that to you. As much as I would love for the boy to be beheaded, Will scaring him shitless will do just fine for me. Now, go get Isaiah and let him know what's going on."

"Yes sir", she said with a smile and disappeared back up the stairs.

Malachai sat back in his favorite chair for a moment and thought about actually calling Morbus and asking for a favor. He thought better of it. Interrupting Morbus's retirement would be dangerous to his health and he knew it. But, Morbus would have really come in handy at the moment. Zack Winfield needed his face rearranged for the way he'd treated Miranda.

Malachai had no clue that in just a few weeks his daughter would drop a bomb on him so huge that he would want to kill the boy himself... and he almost would.

No comments:

Post a Comment