Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chapter 11

The next morning when the Mason family came in, Damien had a new an adorable strawberry blonde with him. "Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Draiman", he said. "I wanted to introduce my girlfriend. This is Avery."

Brie smile at the young woman. "Hello Avery."

David, who had been reading, took his glasses off and cleaned them. After returning them to his face he took a good look at Avery and gave Damien a thumbs up. "She's cute. Nice choice. You've got good taste young man."

Damien's face turned red. "Geez, Mr. David, sir. Thanks and all, but... really?"

Skyler laughed. "You'll have to forgive my son, David. In case you hadn't noticed over the years, he's good at being bold about giving other people compliments, but he can never accept one with confidence when it's being addressed to him. I would honestly like to know which parent he inherited that from."

"I don't think that's genetics, Mr. Mason", Avery said. "It's just Damien being too sweet and modest."

Damien cracked a smile. "See? She knows me."

Avery broke into a bright innocent grin. "It's not that hard, baby. It doesn't take a PhD in psychology to figure you out."

The smile on Damien's face faded and became a look of befuddlement. "Umm... thank you I think."

David looked at Skyler. "I have noticed that. He and Jona are a lot alike in that regard though she's gotten a bit better about it over the years." He looked at Damien. "Damien, I'll put it this way... and keep in mind that I'm an 84 year old man... but if I were about 50 years younger and not married to the love of my life, you might just have a fight on your hands."

Brie reached over and gently smacked his thigh with the shake of her head before turning to Damien. "You'll have to forgive my husband dear, Damien. He's being a lech. She seems like a lovely girl, though." Her eyes then turned to Avery. "Forgive my husband, dear. He can't seem to help himself these days.  84 acting like he’s 24.  Welcome to our family home, though.  I’m sure you’ve met Damien’s brother in law- our son- Jeremiah by now?”  Damien just chuckled when she smacked her man on the thigh.

Avery smiled brightly.  “I see that he is, but what guy doesn't act like a lech at one point or the other? They're guys; it’s what they do whether they admit it or not. But thank you, Mrs. Draiman. I like your home. Jeremiah and I have met briefly once or twice when I come to see Damien at the clinic and he stops by. Damien was going to introduce me to your family real soon, but when Jona mentioned this portrait thing, he considered it the perfect opportunity to bring me over. I've actually been looking forward to it. The Mason family may be his flesh and blood, but he's said that his brother-in-law's family- you guys- play just as big of an important role for him because you are all so supportive of one another. Or at least that is what he keeps saying. So I've wanted to see why he was raving so much. I see it now.”

David rubbed his thigh where Brie has smacked him playfully.  “Ouch.  Was that truly necessary?” he laughed.

Brie flashed him a sweet smile.  Yes, David Michael. It was. She's far too young for you, you lech!" She laughed then turned to Avery.  "Well, you're boyfriend's family has been just as big a support to us as we have to them. If you hear David and Skyler call each other brother, they mean it. They're very much are brothers. And I love Kaylian like my sister. It will be nice to get to know you... and you seem to have a good influence on Damien. That's always a good thing."

Avery giggled.  “Oh, you guys are so nice!  I think I’m going to like you!”

Kaylian gave Avery a warm smile.  “You will like this family a lot, sweetie. Lord knows my family and I love them.”  She then turned to Brie and spoke.  “Aww, I love you as a sister too, dearie. And it’s because of this kind of devotion to the people we love that our families get along so well together, don't you think?”

“Considering the age difference, shouldn’t I be the one calling you dearie?”  Brie laughed.  “But, I absolutely agree. It's that commitment that we have to those around us that helps us get along the way we do. For sure.”
“That and the fact that Dad and Skyler are the same brand of crazy!” Jeremiah called out from off to the side somewhere.  No one really paid him any attention.

As Brie and Kaylian were having their exchange, David spoke to Avery.  “We try, dear. I'm an old lech. I know it. I can't help it and if I tried to change it then, by God, I wouldn't be me. But, to paraphrase an old friend of mine, welcome to our fucked up, God damn family.”

“Well, I think that’s a compliment to say it like that, so thank you.  Glad to be here”, Avery responded with a smile and a laugh.

Brie laughed as well, tuning back into the conversation between her husband and Avery.  “It’s more a statement of fact, Avery dear.  We’re a pretty fun and outspoken bunch around here.  I think you’ll like it.”

Jona had heard her husband’s comment and stood next to him where he was leaning against the wall.  “I know; it’s kinda funny and frightening at the same time.  And you’d think with father’s that crazy, you and I wouldn’t be so quiet and sometimes timid, but yet we are.  Maybe our insanity is more reserved and waiting for the right moment instead of just being downright psycho like theirs.”  She chuckled softly.

Jeremiah nodded slowly, giving his own chuckle.  “I know, right?  You would think so.  I mean, my father made a name for himself acting crazy, and I’m pretty reserved.”  He sighed.  “Don’t you just love how they ignore us?”

She laughed a little harder.  “Just smile and nod, baby.  Nothing you can really do about it.”

And for that, Jeremiah had no answer, so he did what she suggested.  He just gave a fake smile and nodded.

---------------

Finally the photographer arrived and everyone headed outside.  It took a few minutes to get everyone outside and gathered and then about 15 minutes to get everyone placed so that they photos could be snapped.  David and Brie were seated in the center of the bunch and their ten children surrounded them with their families.  The older children were centered in the back with their kids and significant others.  The quads all sat in front with their families and Jessi and Marc knelt at the sides.  “Alright, if you’re gonna smile give them to me; if not just stare at me”, Kelly said before she snapped the picture.  She snapped a couple more like that and pulled the camera away from her face.  “Ok, Dr. Draiman”, she said.  “How are we doing this from here?”

“Which one are you speaking to?” Meagan asked.  “There are three of us here.  Four if you count our father.”

“And you are?” Kelly asked.

“Meagan Draiman, PhD- Microbiology.”

“I’m looking for the MD that I spoke to the other day.”

Jake came out from behind the chairs their parents were sitting in.  “Sorry about that”, he said to Kelly then spoke to Meagan.  “I’ve got this Mae.  I’m the one that had this crazy idea.  Mom and Dad just decided to humor me.”

Meagan nodded.  “I’m gone, Jake.”

Jake looked back to Kelly.  “Hi there.  Sorry for that.  I’m the MD you’re looking for.”

“It’s nice to finally figure out which of these handsome men you are”, she said with a laugh.  “Now, what are we going to do from here?”

“I think what I want to do now is clear out everyone but the two crazy people in the middle, and just have the ten kids.  After that, we’ll bring in the grandkids.  And then, we’ll talk again.”

“Ok.  You direct this insanity.  I’ll just take all the pictures.”

Jake laughed.  “Sounds good.”  He looked out at the mass of people surrounding his parents.  “Mom and Dad, stay put.  If you married into the family, clear out for me real fast and take the grandkids.  Just the ten children for the moment.”

The pictures were taken- the way that Jake suggested them.  There were several shots of the ten kids with their parents in a few different arrangements.  Then the grandkids all flooded in and they were all photographed with their grandparents.  The three youngest got to take a seat in Gramma and Grampa’s laps.
Once the photos were taken, Jake went back to the photographer.  “I’m thinking, but I’ll be honest.  This is way outside of my area of expertise.  I’m a medical doctor, not a director.”  He thought for another moment then brought his hands up to his face, cupping them around his mouth.  “MARC!”

Marc looked up.  “What up?”

“Come here.”

Marc jogged over and looked expectantly at his older brother.  “You bellowed?”

Jake laughed.  “Direct this fiasco.”

“What?”

“Direct this catastrophe.  I’m sure that you’ve picked up some tips from your father in law.”

Marc laughed unpleasantly.  “Ok.  I got this.  Go join the family while I figure this shit out.”  Jake walked off and went back to join the group.  Marc sighed and looked at the photographer.  “Hi”, he said with a laugh.  “I’m Marc Draiman.”

“Hi.  Kelly Demarco.  So, Marc, what are we doing from here?”

“Hold on and gimme a sec to organize my thoughts.”  He started moving invisible things around in the air as he muttered to himself.  “Ok”, he finally said out loud.  “Here’s what we’re gonna do.  I’m gonna lay this out to you three sets at a time.  It gives me time to think.  First, the girls with our Mom.  Then the boys.  Then we’ll flip and make it the girls with Dad, and then the boys.  Then, finally, Mom and Dad alone together then with Mr. and Mrs. Mason.  You think that can happen?”

“I think we can do that.  Get everyone on place.”

Marc cleared his throat.  “ATTENTION DRAIMAN CLAN!  IF YOU’RE UNDER THE AGE OF 30, GET OUT OF THE WAY!  IF YOU’RE OVER THE AGE OF 30 AND HAVE A Y CHROMOSOME, DITTO.  TWO X’S GATHER, PUT MOM IN THE MIDDLE!  ANY QUESTIONS?”

The family did as they were told.  Marc wasn’t going to put up with bull shit.  He’d had this little project dumped in his lap and he wasn’t happy.  He’d let Jake know just what he was thinking later.  Now, he needed to get everyone organized the way he wanted them so that the pictures would turn out right.  It was a daunting task, but he could do it.  He was, after all, his father’s son.

---------------

As Marc set about making sure that everyone was properly in place, Jake and Jeremiah stood off to the side and talked.  “She looks really familiar”, Jeremiah said from out of the blue.

“Who does?” Jake asked.

“The photographer.  I just can’t place from where.”

“Maybe she’s a former student?”

Jeremiah sighed.  “Maybe, but Demarco doesn’t sound right.  That can’t be her name.”

Jake chuckled.  “What about Wagner?”

“It rings a dim bell.  Do you know something I don’t?”

“I do.  She was a student of yours.  She had you for Post Modern Philosophy as she was working on her degree.”

Jeremiah nodded slowly.  “Ah.  Did she enjoy the class?”

“You’d have to ask her, ‘Miah.  It’s not like you were the big topic of conversation, you know.  We were discussing this, not your classes.”

Jeremiah chuckled.  “Thanks for nothing, big brother”, he teased.

“What are big brothers for, little brother?” Jake teased in return.  He stood back and watched as Marc reorganized their sisters with their father because the shot wasn’t the way he wanted it.  “Who’s the new skirt with Damien?”

“His girlfriend Avery.”

“What’s she like?”

“I really don’t know her well enough to be able to say.  I’ve only met her a handful of times at the clinic.  She’d be there to see him, and I’d be stopping by on my lunch hour to drop Jona off a bite of lunch or to pick her up so we could go to lunch.  I’ve spoken to her in passing, but not in depth.”

“What are the impressions you get of her?”

“She’s his polar opposite, but they seem like they’re good for each other.  They’re cute together, I suppose and she seems nice.”

“She may end up your wife’s sister in law and that’s all you know?”

“Forgive me for not having the fucking time to stop and chat, Jake.  I have a rather busy life.  I do have classes to teach on several different subjects.  Hell, in the fall I’m taking on a history class because they’re short one.”

“Just one class?”

“Yeah.  It’s a Friday class and it’s, like, two hours long.”

“Can you do it?”

“They’re college students.  If they don’t like lecture, they shouldn’t be in my class.”

“No fun ways to make history interesting for the college kids?”

“I might pull a few old tricks out of my hat, but for the most part it’s a lecture and discussion class.”

“Fun.  Good luck with that.  But, you know nothing about her other than what you said?”

“Not a thing.  I’m sure I’ll have time to get to know her.  He seems pretty sweet on her.”

“Well, enjoy.  That’s all I can tell you.”

Jeremiah rolled his eyes.  “Thanks for nothing, bro.”

“Like I said, what are big brother’s for?”

---------------

At the end of Day one, they’d gotten through Jake’s bunch and that was about all.  They couldn’t get amore more done without special lights, and there were still children that had early bedtimes.  As Marc prepared to take his family to Malachai’s house- where they were staying while they were in town- he pulled Jake to the side.  “Can I talk to you for a moment, Jake?” he asked.

“Yeah, sure”, Jake said and took them up to his office.  “What’s up?” he asked as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“What was that shit earlier?” Marc asked.

“I’m sorry about that, but I was out of my depth.  I’m not in entertainment.  You work on movies.  That’s more your thing than mine.”

Marc nodded.  “Why didn’t you ask me ahead of time?”

“It honestly didn’t cross my mind.  I made the last minute decision to have you do it.”

“Try to give me warning ahead of time next time so that I’m prepared and I’m not a total ass.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.  Do you mind finishing everything up tomorrow?”

“No.  Just like to have a little advanced warning, that’s all.  Now I can plot and plan rather than try to pull it out of my ass.”

Jake laughed.  “You did well, if you ask me.”

“Thanks, but I’m not worried about it.  I know I’m good at what I do.”  He winked.

Jake did a face palm.  “Go home.  I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow, Jake.”  Marc headed out to the door and Jake just laughed.  Between him and Jordan, there’s not a drop of conceit in this family.  Jake shook his head and went down the stairs to his own family.  Miri was bouncing off the walls because she was going to get her horse soon and she couldn’t wait.  Jake was happy to see her so happy.  He just hoped that she was careful.  She was still really tiny and he was always afraid that some animal twice her size would trample her.  Did he need to relax?  Maybe, but it wasn’t going to happen any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment