Saturday, June 2, 2012

Chapter 74


The viewing and service went over beautifully.  The beautician that came in and did their mother’s hair and makeup did a marvelous job.  Whoever it was had impressed all of the Draiman children with her skill, as well as the grandchildren that had grown up knowing how their grandmother did her hair and makeup.

Miranda and Callan made it to the funeral and were able to get their closure.  Miranda even made it just in time to go to the viewing.  After the viewing they all ate dinner together and passed around the baby.  When asked how Callan managed to get the time off, he replied, “First thing I did was say that my wife’s grandparents had passed on and that I needed the time off to go to the funeral.  When they started being difficult I decided to name drop, telling them that her maiden name was Draiman.  That’s when they said, ‘Draiman?  As in David Draiman?  We heard he passed this morning.’  I told him that was her grandfather and I got no further argument.  Got home and told her that we needed plane tickets.”  He got light chuckles but no one laughed out right.  No one has the strength.

After they all got home they continued to mourn.  Jake didn’t have to impose a mandatory mourning period.  They all needed the time to get over the loss of their parents.

A year passed.  There wasn’t a single one of the children that spent time in the limelight unless they had to and that was as brief as they could make it.  Malachai and Jordan didn’t even bother writing.  It hurt too badly to write. 

Jake retired from medicine like he’d planned after their parents had been gone for four months.  He finally had the time he needed to plan Miri’s wedding.  Even as they mourned they welcomed a new member to the family and knew that their parents would want them to have joyous times as well as times when they cried.  It was healthy to try for joy as much as they could.  Miri was married that summer right before the anniversary and announced that she was pregnant not too long afterward. 

Maddie and her partners in practice stayed out of the clinic as much as they could manage.  They all needed to work, but they all also needed to have the time to really grieve. 

Jeremiah and Meagan both took an open ended leave of absence from work, both having rarely taken time off for any reason.  Jeremiah had at least two years of sick leave saved up.  For Meagan it was vacation time.

Makayla took fewer jobs, only working with artists she knew very well and that were understanding of the fact that she and her family were grief-stricken. 

James worked as little as he could for the label.  He loved his job, but he wanted to be able to be around for his kids if there was a problem while they were trying to deal with the issues that arose after his parents’ deaths. 

Jessi was allowed to take as much time as she needed to mourn.  She was giving the traditional time for a Shiva and then some.  She gladly took the time off, going back to work when she thought she was ready.

Marc worked and found a new dedication to finish the movie that would be the gemstone of his career.  He didn’t have his parents around to answer questions but there were things that he remembered and if they needed to be changed he did so.  He also remembered that he had access to a lot of the materials from the Occupation- which was before his time.  If he had a question about something that happened, he knew that he could go back and check the material.  He kept his head down and every time he remotely thought he saw a camera or a microphone, he went the other way.  There were days when he took an hour to get home because he was trying to shake a tail.

All in all, they took their time to find their step again.  They were finally moving on and were almost sure that they would be just fine without their parents.

Right around Miri’s wedding, the world started asking when they were going to break their silence and speak out about everything that had been going on.  There were many people that wanted to know if there was ever going to be a memorial where the fans could officially say goodbye to the band as a whole.  This started to torment Jake.  He knew how his father felt about the fans.  He knew that Disturbed as a band owed everything they had to the fans.  All four of the men did.  He had started getting phone calls from his cousins asking when and if he thought it would be a good time.  He told them he’d have think about it and he’d get back to them.

The longer he took to think the more he felt the pressure to give them an answer.  Not from his cousins, but from the general public.  Finally, he couldn’t take it anymore.  On the corner of his desk sat a picture of his parents.  He looked at it and spoke aloud.  “God, I wish you two were here.  What should I do?  We want to take the appropriate amount of time to mourn and grieve of your passing, but how long is too long?  I’ve been approached by all kinds of people about sitting down with the ten of us and talking about what it’s been like the last year and growing up with the two of you as our parents.  I’m willing to do it.  I think it would be healthy, but when is the right time?”

“Jacob, look at me”, he heard his mother’s voice.  He stared at her in the picture.  “No.  Look up, Micah.”  He looked up to see the form of his mother standing before him.  “I’m not here to lollygag or answer unnecessary questions.  Make it fast.  You want to know when is the right time to stop mourning and move on with life?”

“More like I want to know when the right time it to end our private grieving and open up to the public.”

“It’s been a year according to your calendar, right?”  He nodded.  “Then I think it’s time.  Talk to your brothers and sisters about the interview and set up the memorial for the band with your cousins.  Its time, Jake.”

He nodded.  “Can I ask you one more thing, Mom, before you go?”

“What is it?” she asked gently.

“What’s it like watching us from afar?  Is it surreal?”

“It is.  Haven’t quite gotten used to it yet, your Dad and I haven’t.  But, your Dad is having a blast over here with your uncles.  There is never a dull moment.  They’re always looking for something to do.  Thank God we’re on the cliff in Ireland rather than someplace else.”

“I know the question is rather obvious, but do you and Dad…?”

She laughed.  “We’re dead, Jacob, but we’re still very much in love.  What do you think?”

He laughed.  “Figures.  Not even death will stop you two.”

She shook her head.  “Nope.  Now I’ve got to be going Jake.  I hear my mother calling and from the sound of it she’s trying to flirt with your father… AGAIN.”

“Ok Mama.  Thanks for the chat.  How come I’ve never seen anyone like this before?  You know, while I’m awake?”

She shrugged.  “Maybe because you’re not really awake.  I’m leaving now, son.  I love you.”

“I love you too Mom.”  And like that she was gone.

His head snapped up from where it had fallen when he dozed off.  He looked at the picture on his desk, then around the room.  There was no one there but him. The twins were in school and Delilah was at work.  He laughed to himself.  Thanks Mom.  I needed that.

Of course you did, Jacob, he heard in the back of his mind.  Of course you did.

---------------

He had just called cut on the scene they were shooting when he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket.  He sighed and checked it.  Seeing that it was his older brother calling, he answered.  He always answered when Jake called.  Lord only knew what the news would be, but good or bad Jake always had something interesting to say.  “Hello?” he said.

“Hey Marc”, Jake said.  “I’m sure you know who this is.  I need to talk to you about something.  Jeremiah and I have already talked about and I bounced it off of Malachai, but I need another opinion.”

He nodded.  “Give me a sec”, he said then called out to the people on set.  “Everyone take 5.  I have to take a phone call.”  Once he’d stepped away from the set he spoke again, leaning against a tree.  “So, what do you need, bro?”

“I think it’s time to come out of our self- imposed hiatus we’re been under.”

“Ok.  What do you need my opinion on?  Not this, I’m sure.”

“No, not that.  I’ve been approached by Ginny Hanover about the ten of us doing an interview.”

“Ginny Hanover?  Didn’t Dad call her the modern day Barbara Walters?”

“Yeah.  One in the same.”

“And you want to know what I think about it?”

“Yeah.  So far I’ve got a ‘Let’s do it’ from Jeremiah and an ‘I’m not so sure about that’ from Malachai.”

“I’m voting in the ‘Let’s do this’ camp.  I think it’s a really good idea.  It will give us a chance to really tell in depth what it was like to grow up a house where The Voice of the Resistance was the head of the house.”

“Cool.  I’m staying neutral until I get everyone’s vote.  If we’re somehow in a deadlock, I’ll break the tie.  I don’t see how we’ll be in a dead lock.  There are ten of us.”  He chuckled.

Marc laughed.  “Yeah.  No kidding.”  He sighed.  “May I ask what brought this about?”

“I apparently took a bit of a nap in my office while looking at my email.  I remember looking at the picture I have of Mom and Dad sitting on the corner of my desk and asking for guidance.  Then I heard Mom say, ‘Jacob, look at me.’  So, I stared harder at the picture.  ‘No.  Look up, Micah.’  From there I asked her what I should do and she said it was time to come out of hiding.”

“Ah.  I see.  I’ve never understood that whole guidance from beyond thing, but I’ve come to trust and respect it from those of you that get it.”

Jake laughed.  “Sometimes it’s not so pleasant to be on the receiving end.  Trust me.  There are times when I wish that I weren’t one of the poor souls to be stuck with this, but I am.  I have to learn to deal with it.”

“You’re a better man than I am, Jake.”

Jake laughed.  “That remains to be seen, Marc.  I’ve got to be the leader of the family now.  I’ve been playing at it the last 16.  As of this time last year, I’ve had to step up and take the reins.  It’s not going to be easy filling Dad’s shoes.”

“Filling Dad’s shoes isn’t meant to be easy.  Instead, I think you should do things the way you think is best.  If you spend your days worrying about how Dad would do things you’ll make yourself grey before your time.  Do what Jake thinks should be done.”

“Good advice.  Is that how things are run in your house?”

“For the most part.  It’s more of what Mercedes and I think is best for our portion of the fiasco that is the Draiman family.  It’s usually a joint decision.  As far as the family as a whole, when Dad was unsure, he would defer to Mom.  Mom would give her advice and he would decide from there.  Maybe if you need advice, talk to Delilah.  She’s supposed to be taking over as the Matriarch, right?”

“Yeah.  You’re right.  I know all of this.  So, are you saying less looking to the cosmos and more looking to the angel that shares a bed with me?”

“Exactly.”
---------------

He’d gotten everyone’s vote on the idea of doing the interview with Ginny Hanover.   He wanted to talk to Delilah before making a final decision.  When she came in from the clinic he was at the table with the two left at home helping them with various assignments.  Samantha was in an advanced science class that was right up her father’s alley- Advanced A&P.  It was a college level class that would transfer to any school she chose to go to.

When she came into the room she dropped her bag on the counter and gave her husband a kiss.  “Hey babe.  How was yet another day of retirement?” she laughed.

He chuckled.  “Boring as hell until these two got home”, he chuckled.  “But, I do need to talk to you.  It’s kinda important.”

“You want to take it to the office?”

He looked at their children.  “Sam, Seth, you need me for anything right now?”

They both thought for a sec and shook their heads.  “Nope.”

“Then take your stuff up to your rooms and finish your homework.  If you need anything you know where to find us.”

Once they were gone Delilah took a seat.  “Ok.  What did you want to talk about?”

“You know there’s been a lot of question on when we’re going to resurface and talk more about Mom and Dad, and how we’ve been coping.  I’ve been calling around to everyone and for the most part everyone’s in favor of doing one specific interview.  It’s with Ginny Hanover.  I’ve been contacted about that one countless times.  I’ve lost count to be truthful with you.”

“Do you want to know what I think about it?”

“That was kinda the point of this conversation”, he laughed.

She laughed.  “I think that it’s time to come out of the mourning period and move on.  We’ve all had a chance to go through the grieving process.  It’s time to come out and actually talk about what’s been going on and how we’ve all been doing since Mom and Dad passed on.  Have you had a chat with either of them?”

He laughed.  “It’s actually kind of ironic that you ask that because my calling around to ask everyone if they wanted to do the interview was actually prompted from accidentally taking a nap when I was checking my email and stuff like that.  I talked to Mom.”

“Really?  What happened there?”

He recounted to story to her the same way he had with each of his siblings that day.  “And that’s when I started making phone calls.”

“I see.  Who all is against the idea?”

“No one is really against it.  More like they’re really unsure that it’s a good idea.  Only Malachai, Maddie, and Jessi.  Everyone else says ‘go for it’.”

“And what do you say?”

“I want to do it and in the end it’s my decision as to whether we do it or not.  Jessi said that even though she’s not a fan of the idea, she’ll still fly out of that’s what I decide.”

“What about the two siblings here that aren’t so sure?”

“They said they’ll be here if we do it but they don’t like the idea.”

“You want to do it here?”

“Yeah.  Either outside on the back patio or clear out the dining room and do it in there.  We’ll need a couple of the bar stools and some of the chairs for everyone to sit in.”

“Moving that table is going to have to be a task on you boys.  That thing is heavy.”

“No kidding.  I helped put it in there.  It took Dad, Uncle Matt, Morbus, Malachai, me, and the rest of Disturbed to put that in there.”

“Wow.  What’s it made of?”

“Mahogany I believe.  Could be oak.  I don’t remember.  All I know is that it’s a family heirloom that was passed from Mom and Dad to us, and from them we’ll pass it to Miri and Jax or whomever.”

“I think Ira wants the house after we’re gone.”

“I’m not even thinking about that right now.  We can start thinking about that after the twins graduate in a couple years.”

She laughed.  “I don’t blame you, but it doesn’t hurt to plan ahead in case something does happen.”

“True.  We’ll worry about it later though baby.  I just want to get through this interview first.”

“So you’re going to do it?”

“Yeah, we’re going to do it.  I think it will not only do us some good to talk about it but it will do those who were fans of Dad’s to hear us talk about it.”

“What about a memorial for the band?”

“I’m actually going to call Maya about that tonight after dinner.  She sent me an email and told me that was the best time to get ahold of her, after her kids were in bed and all that good shit.  Again, it will give the fans of Disturbed a final chance to say good-bye.”

---------------

"I'm glad you decided to do this, Jake", Maya Donegan said to Jake over the phone.

"Well Maya, it's like you said in your email; it gives the fans a chance to mourn the band as a whole. I know Logan has been ready to do this for a bit, as have the Wengren kids. It's time that the Draiman clan gets on board."

"Fantastic. Well, I'll put it together. Do you think that Reckless Disregard will perform?"

"I'm sure they will, but you'll have to talk to them. I know I would like to speak."

He heard scratching on her end. "Ok. We can do that. I'm speaking for my Dad. You can speak for Uncle David. I just need to see who is speaking for Uncle John and Uncle Mike. Oh, something that I'd really like to do is have a video presentation that highlights their career. Would Marc do that?"

"I'm sure he will. I'll give him a call."

"Don't you have other things to do; like run a medical practice?"

"Nope. I'm retired. Retired at the beginning of the year. I have all the free time in the world."

"Would you be willing to help me put this together?"

"Sure. Like I said, I'll give Marc a call. He's got a lot of the Disturbed footage from when he did the Kennedy Center thing for Dad. If there are pictures that he needs you'll have to email them to him. And since RD is local, I'll call them all over and talk to them about performing."

"What I think would be really cool is to have at least one of the kids from each family do a piece."

"What are you thinking? Like a girls' chorus or something?"

"I don't fully have the idea planned out in my head. I do however have a date in mind and that's the anniversary of the day they all retired. I'd really like to do it at Millennium Park."

"Why don't you out Justin and James on that?"

"You know what? I think I'll do just that. They need something to do."

He chuckled. "If there's anything else you need me to do let me know."

"Do you have another pressing engagement that you need to get to?"

"Kinda. It's family movie night. My family and Jeremiah's family get together and we let the kids pick a movie for everyone to watch. Mom and Dad did it with us until they moved to Israel. Jeremiah and I just continued it with our kids."

"Cool. Well, I'll let you go then Jake. Have fun."

"Will do Maya. Have a good night."

"You too."

They hung up and Jake made his way down the stairs from his office. Everyone had already gathered. "So, what are we watching tonight?"

"I picked a romantic comedy but Seth and Matt started bitching", Sammi said.

"So we picked something action", Seth said.

"Well, if we have all of the necessary things for movie, let's spin the disc and do this."  He took his seat next to his wife and comfortable as she handed him his drink.  The popcorn made its way around the room; there were sandwiches and candy on the table.  Jake took the remotes in his hand and started the movie once Seth was lying back in his spot in the floor.

He smiled to himself as he thought back over his day.  Things were finally becoming normal again.  The only thing that wasn’t normal was that his parents weren’t there anymore.  A fact that became less and less painful every day.  He loved his parents and missed them dearly, but the thought of them no longer being around was less likely to cause tears that it had been a year before.

Shoving the thought aside he braced himself for the action thriller that his son and nephew had picked out.  As the previews played, Jake spoke.  “Next week Sammi and Rina get to pick.  If there is any complaining I promise you that my child that bitches will be grounded.  Got it?”

“Yes sir”, Samantha and Seth both said.

“And if it’s one of mine, they do lines until I’m sick of watching them”, Jeremiah said.

“Yes sir”, Matt and Rina said.

“Alright.  Now that that’s over with, let’s enjoy the movie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment